Laptop switches off automatically

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by aksfysal, Dec 5, 2014.

1. aksfysal

aksfysal MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2011
    Hi guys i have dell studio 1555 laptop with processor Intel core 2 duo t6600 and ram 3 gb with video memory ati radeon 4570(512 mb) running windows 8.1 x64.I uses my laptop to download movies so it runs almost 24 hrs a day recently when i got back from my work laptop was turned off (no power outage was occurred at that time) when i tried to turn on the laptop it starts to produce continuous beep sounds(and no display) after some trial and error i found out that charging adapter was the culprit if it is connected laptop won't turn on and continuous beeps sounds occurs , but if you start the laptop without the adapter and then connect the adapter back on then no problem. And the event viewer has under the critical error section an error named Kernel power(event id 41)(The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.) and i will list some of the errors in the event viewer here
    kernel event tracing(Session "" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000011),ACPI:) The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.) ,Ntfs(The default transaction resource manager on volume E: encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.)
    Can you guys please help me find the problem and its solution ?

2. alicepattinson

alicepattinson MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Either battery or overheating problem. :)

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #3 s1ave77, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    To answer this clearly you should check for Blue Screen dumps (if even existing) with a tool like Blue Screen Viewer.

This will give some clue. Either there is a dump (it might give info) or there is none, then assumtion from alicepattinson could be correct.

In case no dump was written a hard shutdown could have happend. That is often triggered by the mainboard protecting the hardware, so it won't ask questions and simply go off.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. aksfysal

aksfysal MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2011
    me too suspecting that will reply with more updates

5. aksfysal

aksfysal MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2011
    yes there is no bluescreen log

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #6 Yen, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. aksfysal

aksfysal MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2011
    To test the battery i removed the battery and connected the laptop directly to the adapter the same beeping problem repeated and no display out too

8. aksfysal

aksfysal MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2011

9. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    open up the laptop and check if things are getting shot inside !!

10. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I hate to suggest it, but from all my years of messing around with computers, it sounds like a catastrophic hardware failure. Broken / cold solder joint? If absolutely nothing works, you may want to seal it up in a plastic bag, put it in the freezer for a few hours, then try powering it up. Never tried it myself, but the web abounds with apocryphal tales of this approach.

11. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    :eek::confused::eek::worthy:

12. puttynene

puttynene MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2014
    Battery gone. First make sure to take backup of all data. and then go for battery check. Have you checked whether it is working fne when you keep on connecting a charger?

13. AbbA

AbbA MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2010
    aksfysal,

You may be too late for cleaning. Display card may be defective. :(

14. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Did you read the topic :confused:

15. Jack900

Jack900 MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2014
    Might be your processor is overheating. First of all, Clean dust inside the system, make sure fan working, if it's possible to change the RAM. After that, May be your problem solve out. Otherwise, you can take help from a PC expert like, Geek Squad, Click4Support, etc.

16. WinWorldstitch

WinWorldstitch MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2014
    That's a good joke.

Usually beeping is trying to indicate a code can you describe that in any way? (Long/Short, pauses between series of beeps, etc). As the thread stands now my bets are also on an original overheat. There's also usually a small little microcontroller on most modern laptops that control the flow of current from the AC between the board and the battery to prevent overcharging batteries (although this is mostly important/required for lithium-polymer batteries as they can explode on overcharge). This could be going bad.

17. aksfysal

aksfysal MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2011
    After too many experiments i'm sure that it is the problem.How will you fix the charging section of a Laptop ?

18. WinWorldstitch

WinWorldstitch MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2014
    Vast majority of the time the relevant components are on the board itself. On rare instances (mostly seen this on Toshiba) the power logic lies on a seperate board that contains the actual DC jack.