Laptop's OEM-DM License became Retail, How?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Starlieys, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Starlieys

Starlieys MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2018
    Hi all,
    I own an ASUS gaming laptop that came with Win 10 Pro pre-installed. It has been used with the original installation until today when i decided to do a clean install using the Media Creation Tool. During installation I used the "I dont have a product key" option and selected Win10 Pro when prompted to do so. When the installation was done, i checked the activation status via "slmgr /dli" command and it appeared activated via "Retail channel" and a generic key ending in 3V66T. I was confused by this, because i definitely remember it saying "OEM DM" instead of "Retail" before the re-install. Checking with "OemKey" software, it said "Unable to open MSDM table", after that i checked with RWEverything and there was indeed no MSDM table. I dont seem to be having any problems with the activation, for now at least, but i am wondering if anyone has an explanation for the change.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    MSDM (and most probably keys) will turn into a HWID/Digital License, normal behavior.

The 3V66T key is (one of) the generic HWID/DL key(s) for Pro.

3. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Also, already bulit in Product key in your Bios in the ASUS Gaming laptop..

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Once the HWID is there it doesn't matter whether you put in the MSDM key or the generic HWID key, all will show activated by hwid/dl.