Late 2021 How to Upgrade Windows 7 from Home to Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gspiv, Dec 25, 2021.

1. gspiv

gspiv MDL Novice

May 13, 2021
    I've got a piece of software that only runs on Windows 7. I've got a machine with Home Premium Build 7600, pre-SP1. I've got a valid Windows Professional Key. If I try to upgrade, it won't authenticate since Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7.

I also have access to a friend's machine which is running Windows 7 Professional, but they need it as well.

Any suggestions on how to do this upgrade?

2. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Senior Member

Jun 2, 2020
    Try to upgrade to SP1 first as upgrades should still work. Why would you use RTM?

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Use the oem:slp pro keys from the daz windows loader (keys.ini file) to perform an anytime upgrade to Pro.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gspiv

gspiv MDL Novice

May 13, 2021
    Thanks. I've obviously got lots of issues on this machine. Windows Update says the service wasn't running but it was and hence wouldn't start. I installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver which enabled Windows Update to start. Then Windows Update runs but produces: Windows Update could not search for new updates with an error CODE 80072efe. Sfc /scannow runs for about 1 second and says everything is OK. Doesn't appear to actually scan the drive. Trying to run the SP1 update on its own (KB976932) goes along for 10 or 15 minutes and then gives an error: The referenced assembly could not be found: ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING (0x80073701)

5. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Senior Member

Jun 2, 2020
    Why not just clean install?

6. gspiv

gspiv MDL Novice

May 13, 2021
    Don't want to affect some old software on the machine. I downloaded a copy of a Windows Home Premium ISO and burned a CD. Can I re-install or repair what is there, and then try to update to SP1, and then possibly do the Professional upgrade as described by Enthousiast?

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #7 Enthousiast, Dec 26, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    Download the 2011 ISO version with SP1 and U in the ISO filename (and maybe offline update it first), extract it (or use software to mount it) and run setup.exe from the root of the ISO, after the repair upgrade finished 100% you can perform the anytime upgrade i suggested.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...