latest build of windows 10 and x99s

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tlasher, Jul 6, 2015.

1. tlasher

tlasher MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    tried many times to install this but seems to take forever
    1% then 2% sometimes taking 15mins very slow o_O

im booting on a m2 kingston hyper x predator 256gb drive

from within os as in clean install ive deleted all partions on drive to start fresh

any help folks ?

cheers

2. cbutters

cbutters MDL Junior Member

Oct 17, 2007
    What x99S board do you have?

I have the same problem... I've had an expensive 512GB Samsung XP951 m.2 ssd on the MSI X99S SLI PLUS board, and it runs windows 8 fine, but windows 10 is slow and choppy, and ends up being unusable. I can't decide if it is the motherboard or the SSD that has the compatibility issue. I have to use a crappy TLC SATA ssd on the motherboard to run windows ten. and I haven't found a workaround that will let me use the m.2 ssd reliably. I'm hoping a final build that doesn't include all the logging and data collection ends up fixing the issue. But only time will tell.

3. tlasher

tlasher MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    ive the asus x99s deluxe
    in vm win 10 is great installs fast as it should
    but try doing a clean install from disk can take upto 4 hours ?

4. cbutters

Oct 17, 2007
    Wow, mine isn't as bad as taking 4 hours to install... thats rough.. but it is really slow to install, and becomes super slow and unresponsive when setting the settings during the windows installation. Then it does a little bit better once windows actually loads, but still locks up off and on / goes really slow occasionally.
    I hope microsoft is actually testing m.2 SSD compatibility.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with m.2 problems though... I was actually thinking of selling my MSI board for the ASUS one in fear it was an isolated problem to my motherboard. Guess ASUS has the same problem.

5. tlasher

tlasher MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    m8 after putting my old Plextor m2 2280 in and removing the kingston windows 10 installs spot on and is fantastic.
    guessing it is kingstons drive and windows 10 in my case :confused:

6. cbutters

Oct 17, 2007
    I would say that it is probably m.2 drives in general and windows 10. Since we have different m.2 ssds that both work fine under win7/win8 but both have issues with windows 10. And we've both been able to use other Sata SSDs just fine, so its not necessarily the board. I do know that m.2 drives use generic windows storage drivers. and Windows 10 has new versions of the generic windows storage driver.

I blame intel and/or microsoft. just not sure if it is the chipset or the storage driver.

7. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Make sure your installing under UEFI mode as well .

8. hounsell

hounsell MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2014
    I've got a very similar setup (Kingston Hyper X M.2 SSD, ASUS X99-Pro), Windows 10 flies when installing/upgrading. I can generally get a full in-place upgrade wrapped up in 30mins.

To be honest, I can't think what would be causing the issue off the top of my head. Very strange issue.

9. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    On my X99 if i don't pick a UEFI boot it will install under legacy and this will create problems for M.2 drives, So if your seeing the windows flag on boot your not running a UEFI install of windows.

10. tlasher

tlasher MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    today was on chat with kingston today and they say the r & d department are aware of win10 install problems with the predator m2 drive and say wait for the official release :mad:

11. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Sounds like a firmware problem then.

12. AzTec

AzTec MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Win 10 seems to try and spin ssd drives, soundz like its still not sorted, i would try a normal drive in your setup and see if the problem is still there, that way you would know for sure,

I have a Seagate Hybrid Drive SSHD 2TB and win 10 plays nice with that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012

30 minutes??? Wow, takes my 6 year old Asus R3E 13-14 minutes tops to do a full in-place upgrade from build to build. Is Microsoft building Windows 10 just for old hardware or what? LOL

14. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    SSDs are fine its M.2 drivers been running windows 10 on my raid ssds for months and it installs in less than 20 minutes.

15. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    What constitutes a "normal" drive in your opinion??? I was not aware some of us were purchasing "abnormal" or not normal drives???

16. matt_0978

matt_0978 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Normal as in a mechanical harddrive and not SSD

17. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    A mechanical hard drive is NOT a normal hard drive, it is just a hard drive. All storage devices regardless of their technology is perfectly normal, there is NOTHING abnormal about a SSD, it is just a perfectly normal solid state drive. Only a low IQ cave man would think like that.

18. dScribe

dScribe MDL Novice

May 28, 2015
    SSDs and Windows 10

Many, many people, myself included, have been using Windows 10 with SSDs with no problem for months now. ;)

19. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    It depends on the brand of the SSD as far as failures, therefore i recommend researching on the type of SSD you want to buy to avoid disappointment

20. dScribe

dScribe MDL Novice

May 28, 2015
    That is generally a good idea, no matter what it is you are buying, if it costs much or you have important things depending on it.