Latest Win 8 updates and theming, can it be done now?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by RubenRybnik, May 5, 2013.

1. RubenRybnik

RubenRybnik MDL Novice

May 4, 2013
    I've been trying to get several 3rd party themes working, I've tried UxStyle and Ultra UXTheme Patcher both of which force me to either restore from a Restore Point or restore from a disk image. So how is anyone theming nowadays? Or is it to the point that we have to wait for a new patcher to hit the scene? Tried googling around but those are the two solutions I tried. Failed on both my fully patched Win 8 x64 Pro Desktop as well as fully patched Win 8 x64 Virtual Machine ( VMWare Workstation ).

If I'm missing something please drop me a hint. Thanks.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    how is the machine activated?

3. RubenRybnik

RubenRybnik MDL Novice

May 4, 2013
    Their both official full retail versions ( bought two copies on launch day ) activated officially with the key that came with the cd. Should it work if you're officially activated? I didn't see any info saying it wouldn't. Thanks

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #4 PaulDesmond, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    afaik there were no issues yet when official activated systems used. I thought, that you hacktivated your windozes and system files were damaged which sometime require a reset to original state.
    You should dig into customization threads to find more details for your issue

5. copo

copo MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    I suffer from the same for a while now. My 3 machines are activated with original keys (2 with dreamspark 1 with prowmc key). Only sollution so far has been the woot dll files which he kindly gave to me via PM. Ask him for those files to see if he can share them. Been running with them for 2 weeks without any problems

6. RubenRybnik

RubenRybnik MDL Novice

May 4, 2013
    No, not hacktivated, but still good to know, thanks for the info.

Thanks, I'll try this next, as I'm stuck as of now. Still don't know why UxStyle didn't work for me, I know its supposed to be "safe" by not replacing dlls and running as a service instead. So if I replace dlls ( I'm guessing your talking about system32.dll and other theme dlls? ) then windows update may cause the issue correct? I don't mind too much, use Acronis to do daily backups so I can just roll back if an update causes an issue then fix it prior to updating. I'm just trying to get a better understanding, thanks.