Leaked MS signing keys

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DKane, Nov 29, 2009.

1. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I've been researching UAC, I'm doing a demo on it, explaining to people why they shouldn't turn it off*. I wanted to demonstrate all the different UAC prompts in Windows 7, but I discovered that there is one kind I cannot produce. Apparently, several of Microsoft's code signing keys were leaked, and when an application signed with a leaked key is run, it produces a red UAC prompt.

No, this is not a myth, I heard it from the dude who architected UAC. I was wondering if anyone here (this seems like the right place to ask) has either an application that was signed with such a key (preferably one that won't make my AV go bonkers), or a utility for signing programs with such a key.

*If you are going to reply to say they should, I am first going to need to see written documentation showing that you never complained about how piss-poor MS security was before vista, with special detail on how much you loved every n00b and their grandmother running as administrators by default.

2. fahadsadah

fahadsadah MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    I agree with you that UAC is a _GOOD_ _THING_, and am very intrigued about the leaked keys.

Who told you about this? When?

3. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009