Leave Insider Program

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by alessio89g, Aug 4, 2015.

1. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
    #1 alessio89g, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    I performed a Windows 10 Enterprise non-LTSB RTM clean install and I doubt that I could receive Insider "beta" updates.
    I joined the Insider progran almost immediately when it was open, but I downloaded and tried (on VHD) only one of the first Build.
    I know that it is possible to get Insider "beta" updates even after release of the RTM and in return you will obtain a free license, but I are not interested in this.
    The question has come to me because in the Advanced Options of Windows Update, at the bottom on a dedicated Insider Program section, there is a grayed button, not clickable, you need to begin; and so far Okay, but I also found the Windows Feedback App, and in Modern Control Panel, there is also an option in the Privacy section dedicated to the frequency of the feedback and their detail level.
    The fact of the grayed button I think it depends to the change via gpedit of Windows Update settings to not automatically download updates (I get the Download button, but I was interested to select the updates interest me, and hide others, like in previous Windows versions), indeed at the top there is a orange message says taht some settings are managed by the organization. But for the rest?
    I tried searching the forum and I found a link that should allow you to leave the Insider program, but I don't found this option in the page.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to see if I get these "beta" updates and in case disabling them?

I take this opportunity to give another two questions:
    - I know that in some of the latest Insider Preview there were transparent window frames with a blur effect, like in Windows 7, but now apparently this was removed; does anyone know if there a hack, such a registry modification or a patch to reactivate it, avoiding programs running in background?
    - Someone know how to rename Quick access icon in Explorer Left Panel (I mean exactly the Star icon, not the items on the list)?
    Browsing in regedit to
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{kEy}\LocalizedString
    I successful rename Control Panel, Libraries and Network, but I don't succeed to rename that item! :mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Yu must login in the insider program with an m$ account and you'll be able to manage them :)

3. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Ok, I found the option, and I successful leave the Insider Program, but now the dedicated page tells me that I have to refuse explicitly future Insider builds, in Windows Update Advanced Option, but as I write in OP this botton is grayed, not clickable.

5. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I think that finally I successful disable the Insider Build Update by Disabling this gpedit policy (I'm not sure that the translation is correct):
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds > Enable\disable user control for insider build
    What do you think about this policy?

Anyone about the transparent window frames with a blur effect like Windows 7?
    Anyone about renaming exactly the Quick access icon in Explorer Left Panel?