Legit Retail DVD + ei.cfg?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MidnightStream, Oct 22, 2009.

1. MidnightStream

MidnightStream MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    I'm pretty sure this will work, but I just wanted to confirm, I'm getting a Free Retail Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade from Dell from the New PCs thing, so can I rip the DVD to .iso then delete ei.cfg and would it install Ultimate without problems? Or is there something wrong?

EDIT: Also could I instead modify ei.cfg to install Ultimate from OEM Channel?

2. cuncon

cuncon MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I think that Only Windows 7 Ultimate can include Ultimate-Pro-Home Pre -Home Basic and Stater when the file ei.cfg is deleted.

For your DVD, I do not think....It includes Ultimate as you delete ei.cfg. :) :eek:

3. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Yeah.. sure u can.. it'll unlock all the edition..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rasso

rasso MDL Member

May 24, 2009
    hey man.first install home premiuma and then upgrade it to ultime ,,but u should find a ultimate key to upgrade..thats working,,,i did the same way

5. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    U can always find the Brand OEM keys in sticky topic :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. straha

straha MDL Junior Member

Oct 15, 2009
    All the DVD's contain the same information. The only difference is the key you use during setup. The key will unlock the version that it is for.

7. ripee

ripee MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Not necessarily. I remember with Vista, some OEM's removed the other images from the install.wim file so that you couldn't just use the same disk to install a better version of Vista.

It is still possible to remove those images with the Windows Automated Installation Kit so that, even without the ei.cfg file, you'd only have one version in the list during installation.

8. straha

straha MDL Junior Member

Oct 15, 2009
    That's possible to do, sure, however, the original post was referring to a retail version.

edit - and I just saw the OEM channel addition to the original post, so your info was good for that. :)