Lenove Z61m bios password

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Merlin, May 16, 2010.

1. Merlin

Merlin MDL Novice

May 16, 2010
    My thinkpad is locked...long story short...............i sold it:(...the buyer locked himself out..i took it back and been looking forever on how to fix this...PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

2. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kingedwards

kingedwards MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2010
    From my experience IBM laptops use a special Amtel chip embedded to the motherboard that stores the bios password. I have not played with the Z series yet, but I know the R60 and T60 series use this chip to store bios passwords. It is possible to extract the password with an eeprom programmer and decryption software. The chip is usually located on the main board under the touch pad. It requires some major soldering skill to extract the password and if done wrong it can fry your motherboard. If you want to attempt extracting the password I can give you step by step instructions and also help you build an eeprom programmer and set up the software.

4. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    #5 starams5, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
    A guy brought me a laptop to work on a while back and I needed to get into the bios which was password protected. I tried the passwords in the link with no luck, at the time I didn't even notice the tools at the bottom of the page. We both know it's a stretch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kingedwards

Mar 17, 2010
    At my business I have dealt with 1000's of bios locked systems and I have never once been able to get a backdoor password to work... lol

6. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    #7 starams5, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
    That's good to know, next I won't waste my time. I fix these things on the side when I have time for friends and family for little or no pay. It's just as easy for me to tell them to come get their computer and buy a new one.

7. kingedwards

Mar 17, 2010
    There are a lot of ways around bios locked laptops, just IBM are a bit more difficult because of the embedded chip. That thing holds a charge for up to ten years if you disconnect the power and battery so there is no waiting it out.

8. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    10 years? IBM don't be messing around. I'm a fixture the ASUS forum, it's the only board I ever I owned, it's the only board I know. Forums like this deal with a variety of boards, laptops and other hardware so it's good to have people like yourself with different skills coming around to lend a hand.

9. Merlin

Merlin MDL Novice

May 16, 2010
    Hey..tried, I think, all of the above..thanks for your help but I think I'm selling it for parts now....At least I can make a buc or 2 out of it...:p