Lenovo G560 Laptop Problems

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Librarian, May 19, 2012.

1. Librarian

Librarian MDL Novice

May 19, 2012
    So the other day I decided that I wanted to start my digital life from scratch using the BSD operating system. Unfortunately I may have moved a little sooner than I should have (damn my narcissism!). Anyways now the system is "broken", and by broken I mean that I can turn it on, it goes to what I presume is the POST screen, but then everything stops. Also if I turn it off I have to take out the battery and press the power button to (as best I understand it) discharge a capacitor somewhere on the motherboard. Anyways I did some poking around and my guess as to the problem is that when I fail installed FreeBSD on my system I overwrote the MBR (and possibly the rest of the disk). So I opened up the machine and looked inside.

Fun Fact: Under the hood was ... Interesting and it changed my perception on the machine. Some wires were held down with masking tape. Also, my supposedly "Factory Default" laptop had serial numbers pasted over serial numbers over serial number etc. Perhaps the strangest part was a dot and a 3 written on one of the labels in ballpoint pen.

Anyways, my environment seems to be devoid of anything that I can use as a "screwdriver" to remove the last screw of the hard disk so that I can check if I can still fully load the bios with the HDD removed. My guess is that I can based on what I've gathered through what I've read online. I'll get back to you guys on that later. Anyways, supposing that I am right about why my machine won't boot (Messed up the MBR or corrupted HDD in some other way) what would you guys suggest to get things running again?

I really want to fix this machine because the other machines I have access to in my environment are so heavily locked down that its ridiculous. Windows only, every possible administration feature disabled (I can't even install new programs) and I'm sure that despite all this "security" all of these computers are filled to the brim with malware.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated hardware Gods of MDL :worthy::worthy: