lenovo h520s Bios Problems.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by clscragg2003, Mar 2, 2016.

1. clscragg2003

clscragg2003 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2016
    Hi there ppl hope you can help me i have got lenovo h520s and for some strange reason i cant get in to the BIOS I have tried f1 and f2 even del and still nothing. Also i have cleared the c-mos as well and all i am getting when the computer starts is LENOVO and nothing else please can body help Thank You.:confused:

2. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    I'm guessing that originally came with Windows 8? A factory install of 8 would be UEFI only, so hitting F1 etc isn't going to do anything. Usually you can get into BIOS/UEFI Firmware by holding shift when you click restart, and selecting UEFI firmware settings from the recovery menu that comes up. Since you can't get into Windows, the easiest way to get to BIOS is to disconnect the hard drive and anything else that with a boot manager. With nothing to boot to it should go straight into setup.

You should probably check the health of the hard drive as well. It could be what's locking up the computer on POST.

3. clscragg2003

clscragg2003 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2016
    Hi there i have discontented the hard drive and dvd drive and still could not get in to the bios, it came with windows 7 also i tried hold shift and restart and the UEFI Setting was not there which is really strange. Its the first computer i have ever come across where i can not get in the bios.

4. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #4 Muerto, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021

5. clscragg2003

clscragg2003 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2016
    I have look can't find the webpage is there chance you know it please Thank You.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In some Acer Laptops there's a similar problem with BIOS. To solve that is quite easy:
    1. start the laptop and let it boot into the OS fully
    2. done that, using the OS function Restart, which is in Windows 10 from Start Menu --> Power --> Restart
    3. as the Laptop restart's, for a short time (few seconds) you could see on Screen a lower Taskbar with the available Hot-Keys, by Acer F2 for to go into BIOS!

Don't remember which Lenovo were it, one I had in my hands, was use the ESC Key for to go into BIOS!!

Anyway, you'll need to get the Taskbar on screen for to do any action. The reset of the CMOS may didn't change the security settings in BIOS at all!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. clscragg2003

clscragg2003 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2016
    Hi there i have been on that site and it comes with nothing for the bios all i am getting is this:Bios update is not required for this product - Desktop

8. clscragg2003

clscragg2003 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2016
    I am Using a desktop not a laptop and normally it was F2 to get into the bios but nothing, I just don't understand it how a bios wont let me in. o_O

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Could you ac cess the BIOS Boot Manager by booting the Computer?

Maybe you could try the following, if it's a desktop:
    • open the Case
    • remove all cables from computer include the Power Cable
    • remove the Backup Battery, it normally a round battery Lithium 3V CR2032
    • short the 2 Battery connectors (+ / -) for about 5-10 seconds
    • place Battery back
    • connect KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse)
    • connect Power cable
    • start the computer and press the Hot-Key if when needed

That Procedure should set back the MB-Watch to 00:00 and force user to open the BIOS.

Hope that helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Possibly your keyboard is disabled when booting. I would suggest you make use of a different keyboard. If you are using USB keyboard at the moment you can try PS2.

11. clscragg2003

clscragg2003 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2016
    Hi there i have just tired this 10 mins ago on what you said and still can't get in to the bios, can't access the bios boot manger by booting the computer on. It just loads straight in to windows 10. I have took all the cable's out even the battery out and all the other stuff you said to do and still nothing.:weep:

12. clscragg2003

clscragg2003 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2016
    Hi there i have just looked on the back and there is no ps2 only usb's

13. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Does Lenovo have a utility you can run in windows to change bios? Perhaps a utility to turn off fastboot?
    I'm thinking maybe there's something like a fast boot turned on in the bios that does not initialize usb until you've boot into the OS.
    I'm assuming your using a usb keyboard...

14. clscragg2003

clscragg2003 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2016
    I there i have looked on the web for how to turn the fastboot off within windows 10 and i have tried that and still no look.

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    disconnect the hard drive (Windows 10) and see if it loads the bios option by default

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Don't think so! It maybe will try to boot to Network!

@clscragg2003: I could be wrong, just there maybe some keystrokes which triggers the BIOS to load at booting. Some Like that I had on a DFI Mainboard and was need to hit the Insert Key many times within the Boot Process!

On the other hand, try to contact Lenovo Service/Support for to find out the way to get the access to the BIOS!

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #18 pisthai, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  18. clscragg2003

clscragg2003 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2016
    Hi there again i have tried all that and still no look the strange thing is tho Method 2: can't find it in programs not there at all. I am so great full for your time and support ppl, i might try and get a shot gun and try that lol.

19. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Have you tried to boot to firmware settings through 'Recovery' at the Settings?

Let try this and see if it will work:

1) Go to Settings and next click Update and Security.

2) Under Advanced startup click restart now.

3) Click Troubleshoot to continue after reboot.

4) Choose Advanced options.

5) Click UEFI firmware settings and click Restart and boot to your BIOS.