Lenovo IdeaPad Z580B UEFI BIOS SLIC2.1??

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by lucid, Mar 7, 2013.

1. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    #1 lucid, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    A friend has asked me to put Windows 7 on to replace the preinstalled Win 8 Std that came with her Lenovo ideapad Z580 laptop. The BIOS is version 5FCN89WW and is set to UEFI boot but there is a legacy boot option available in its setup.

I am unable to download the BIOS from lenovo nor am I able to dump it as the dump tools I tried would not read it. Nor would the SLIC toolkit I tried work either to determine if there already has a SLIC 2.1. I have just found BIOS version 2.3 after reading this post here, but have not had chance to test it yet as my friend has the laptop:
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/5866-LENOVO-%28IBM%29-Bioses-especially-Thinkpad/page521?p=718479&viewfull=1#post718479

I was able to use RW Everything and get a report though. Here:
    w*w.datafilehost.com/download-1211031b.html

I am trying to detertmine if the BIOS already has a SLIC 2.1 so that I can install with a key and cert. And if not how i can insert one or use a modded BIOS if needed.

If i am successful would i need to use legacy mode in the BIOS and remove the EFI partition.
    Apolgies if these questions seem niave but it is my first experience of UEFI.

The disc and partition structure is presently like this (see pic below)
    [​IMG]

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Thank you so much for that i have downloaded it but would you be so kind as to explain exactly what I would be doing when running the batch files?
    The BIOS is presently set to UEFI and has windows 8 on will that be affected. I have spent hours and hours trawling through hundreds of pages and a variety of threads. Does the BIOS already have SLIC 2.1 or is this inserting it? The process is somewhat different to what I have encountered before. I did post an RW everything report and will post biosversion results later.

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Thank you again for your answer and the link :D

6. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    It seems from investigation that in order to turn off the secure boot one has to setup an admin password in UEFI settings. It's shame that info wasn't more readily available and even Lenovo themselves couldn't tell me that. I will test when i next get my hands on the machine. What worries me is that there seems an issue with these units of access to the UEFI disappearing altogether. I will post results when done :cool:

7. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Thank you the above worked well and now the UEFI is showing the full SLIC 2.1 markers. I was able to back up the ROM prior to the change as well as afterwards. Would posting these here be useful to anyone?

8. servili007

servili007 MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    I could actually use these files, as I have one that originally came with win7 that is now on 8, but lenovo refuses to release the secure boot enabled bios. I'll shoot you a PM as well.

9. mikepool

mikepool MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    Are there any step-by-step instructions on how to unlock SLIC2.1 using the specified tool? I downloaded the tool and read the manual.txt file but I'm still not sure of how to proceed because there is no explanation of what each step is doing.

10. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    #10 lucid, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    (OP)
    FULL INSTRUCTIONS

1st you need to make ALL FILES visible in windows. So open my computer or a folder and go to TOOLS->FOLDER OPTIONS->SELECT VIEW TAB.
    Then make sure that the Show Hidden files,folders and drives is selected. Also make sure the Hide Extensions for known File types & Show Protected operating system files are BOTH UNTICKED. Then click OK at the bottom of the dialogue box to save & close it. You can change these back to what you want when you are finished.

Now you will need to make a bootable usb stick so go get a blank one doesn't need to be large even 128MB would do.
    Then download the zip file from the link here (below, about 8MB) and extract it all to a folder on your desktop. Do not run from within the zip:
    https://anonfiles.com/file/4d3969ecb7053d38edf6ead3734c422f

Within the folder called Z580 Z480 Z380 eng there is one called creating boot flashdrive, look in there. There is a text file and video called "instructions for creating a boot flask" as per below follow the instructions:

1. In windows plug in your USB stick and remove all other usb devices.
    2. Run the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (HPUSBFW.exe in the folder)
    & make sure the USB stick is selected at the top
    3. As in the picture: set the file system to FAT or FAT32
    4. Tick "CREATE A DOS STARTUP DISK USING DOS SYSTEM FILES located at:"
    5. Enter the path to the folder BOOT which contains the files, browse to the BOOT folder
    6. Press START

CAUTION: This erases the contents of the flashdrive!

Now copy these files from the folder "Z580 Z480 Z380 eng" to the now bootable USB stick
    CHK.bat , CLR.bat , SN.BAT , FLASH.bat , LERW92.EXE

Close the folders on the usb stick & SHUT DOWN THE PC - NOT RESTART.
    Now the PC is shut down REMOVE the USB stick and RESTART the PC to ENTER the UEFI BIOS SETTINGS. (Press the Novo button on startup and then select BIOS Setup. The NOVO button is the smaller button to the right of the POWER button).

Now enter the UEFI bios settings and disable secure boot. You will have to set up an ADMIN PASSWORD 1st in order to give you access to the settings. Then disable secure boot and enable the Legacy Boot Option. Then remember to set the boot order so all USB devices or FDD are set before the hard drive HDD, I seem to remember there were several of each. I placed them all 1st before the hard drive in boot order. When done save the BIOS settings. The machine will shut down and restart as its restarting if you're quick enough hold the power button to shut it down. If your not quick enough let it start to windows then just shut it down properly.

When shut down plug in the USB stick and switch on. It should boot to the USB stick into DOS mode. Read the INSTRUCTIONS.txt file as per below and follow. (Some steps you will already have completed now so start at No.3)

1. create a USB boot FLASHDISC- see instructions

2. copy these files onto the usb stick
    CHK.bat , CLR.bat , SN.BAT , FLASH.bat , LERW92.EXE

NOW RESTART THE PC LEAVING THE STICK IN
    (make sure you have already altered the boot order in the bios settings
    1st so it boots from the usb stick)

3. Boot from usb it will enter into DOS mode
    then type the following and click ENTER:

CHK.bat [PRESS ENTER]

[​IMG]
    1a.jpg

CLR.bat [PRESS ENTER]

[​IMG]
    2a.jpg

4. RESTART PC AND BOOT INTO DOS AGAIN FROM THE STICK

5. TYPE:

SN.BAT [PRESS ENTER]

[​IMG]
    3a.jpg

FLASH.bat [PRESS ENTER]

[​IMG]
    4a.jpg

6. When done press the power button to turn off PC & remove the stick

7. Restart the PC and enter the UEFI Bios settings

8. Reset the boot order so the HDD is before any USB flash drives and save.

9. Restart the PC to windows and run the SLIC_ToolKit_V3.2.EXE from the folder "Z580 Z480 Z380 eng" on your desktop
    Click the Advanced Tab To check that the SLIC2.1 markers are now visible.

Look at the SLIC Diagnosis it should show that the OEMID/TableID: X&RSDT
    are green (good) for PubKey and Marker showing Version 2.1.

That's it ALL FINISHED