Lenovo Recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by gsan28, Feb 6, 2013.

1. gsan28

gsan28 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2013
    Hi,

I'm trying to unbrick my laptop (lenovo e420s) after flashing it with an uncompatible bios file. Right now, the laptop stills powers on, fan spins, then stop spinning. It will do this cycle three times, without any picture on the screen. Prior to flashing my BIOS I made a back up using Universal BIOS Backup Tool Kit. Winflash also created a backup of its own.

Now, I purchased an eeprom programer on eBay. I was hoping that using the programmer, I could simply change the file extension (rom) on the backup file created by the Universal back tool kit to a .bin file, and write it on to the BIOS chip.

This did not work. I'm sure why. I was hoping that I could come here and get some help.

Here's the BIOS file the Universal BIOS backup tool kit generated (old bios):

sendspace (dot) com/file/ad4xp7

Back up generated by winflash:

sendspace (dot) com/file/ohueom

Here's the BIOS file I recovered using the EEPROM programmer from the chip. This is the file that bricked the computer after the flash.

sendspace (dot) com/file/ab710k

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    identify the 420s model type under it.
    if u flashed wrong bios and u made backup it might not work due to wrong bios.. but what we might need is in it.
    wlil post results soon.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  4. gsan28

gsan28 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2013
    #4 gsan28, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    (OP)
    :worthy:FIXED!!! You're awesome men! Finally, got it to post and load it O/S. How did you merged the two file in hex editor? I was looking around the software earlier and couldn't find a function that does this automatically. I doubt you went through it line by line.

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #5 LatinMcG, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    i scroll fast in hexeditor and i find it.. im good at it.
    kinda like in the matrix movie.. i see a blonde u see lines of code :p

6. gsan28

gsan28 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2013
    #6 gsan28, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    (OP)
    Lol. After I've put together the laptop, I noticed that it doesn't recognize the CD/DVD player in BIOS or in Windows. In bios, it's not part of the boot option. In windows, it's not in "my computer" at all. It is also not in device manager. The CD/DVD powers up, in fact, a CD got stuck in it right now. The computer just don't recognize that it's there or attach to it. I'd appreciate it if you could maybe take another look at the file. Thanks,

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    reflash proper bios if needed.

8. gsan28

gsan28 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2013
    Unfortunately, there's no upgrade available particularly for my motherboard. The closest one was that one that bricked it on the first place. Since the file that you put together works, I guess the embedded controller from the none compatible BIOS file works in combination with the Old BIOS. It took care of the fan issue so now the laptop no longer over heats. Except, it doesn't recognize the DVD/CD drive. Is this a SLIC thing?

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    could be.. seen it before.