Lenovo s10-2 windows 7 (no sata drivers in the installation) + bootloader fails

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Evgeniy, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Evgeniy

Evgeniy MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Hello,

i have the strangest thing.

Im installing win7 clean from usb dvd drive to s10-2 netbook.

sometimes bootloader from dvd drive fails to load and other time i have no hdd visible.

Is it realy posible that win7 RC doesnt have a sata driver for that midget netbook.

I was debuging this for an hour at work and finaly went home but it still bugs me.

Its not the media i installed it on s10e yesterday.

There is no sata driver on lenovo but I will slipstream one when i get to work and make a bootable usb with win7.

Or i can point to sata driver located on recovery partition.

Memtest x86 5 passes

S.M.A.R.T. no errors

Anyone had this kind of problem before?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi Evgeniy

Have a look in the BIOS and see if the SATA drive to set to AHCI or not.
    I had problems upgrading an IdeaPad S10-3 from WinXP to Seven because of that setting. ;)

3. jacques abidal

jacques abidal MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2010
    Hi Evgeniy and ZaForD,

Just upgraded a Lenovo IdealPad s10-2 from XP to Windows 7 Starter from USB. Didn't have to modify any BIOS feature, it works like a charm.

Did you install the appropriate drivers, in particular the Intel Chipset driver for Windows 7?

Encountered a problem however: after I installed Windows Loader 2.0, the sleep/hibernate function fails (no wake up) and there is then no alternative but shut down the machine manually. Any tip on this? ;)

4. Evgeniy

Evgeniy MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Ahci is by default cause its starter oem also tryed with native.

.....building a bootable usb stick hang on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Evgeniy

Evgeniy MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    It was probably media or external dvd drive cause usb drive works perfectly.

Dvd made a nice smash with some cracking sounds when it hit the wall.

LoL

6. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Just curious and likely missing something....why use the RC version when SP1 RTM is available?

7. Evgeniy

Evgeniy MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Sorry i was thinking RTM but without sp1.

Its simple im so LAME to burn a dvd.

8. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #8 zahnoo, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    I've never had a situation where the DVD failed to work. On my Eee PC 1000HE I did get a BSOD with first start of Windows 7 because an AHCI driver was not present. I have the driver now but had already set CMOS Setup to IDE Emulation mode. It's running so well like that I just left it that way.

9. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @Evgeniy & Zahnoo,
    The IdaePad S10-3 also came with Starter.
    I think the BIOS was switched to Native to allow Win XP to install.
    Either way Windows 7 wouldn't install properly from a USB DVD while it was set to Native. :confused:

@jacques abidal,
    Why are you using a loader ?
    Every IdeaPad S10-2 and 3 I've seen already have a SLIC in the BIOS.

10. jacques abidal

jacques abidal MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2010
    @ZaForD,

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of that. Anyway, removed the loader and installed automatic rearm. Sleep/hibernate functions work perfectly agaon, now just wait and see what happens when 0 day left!

11. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @jacques abidal,

Make sure you have the correct SLP key for your version and the Lenovo Cert.
    (both are in the Stickies ;) )

12. Evgeniy

Evgeniy MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    If you have the ahci driver there is a way to force them.

You need to google that for the right procedure.

I think its just right click on any sata driver, browse to ahci driver, install, restart, switch bios to ahci. (better google that)

13. Evgeniy

Evgeniy MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    All working including restore partition.

Thanks all.