Lenovo sends out laptops with Vista and not Win7 as advertised

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FuSchnickens, Nov 19, 2009.

1. FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
  2. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #3 Brainsuck, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009
    yes you can use the key on the bottem non slp oem or this with a Lenovo cert Lenovo --- XXXXX-OEM-8992662-00537 --- LENOVO/IBM (New)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FuSchnickens

Jul 31, 2009
    It appears I'm getting 2 different opinions. I've alread flashed the BIOS of an old pc and get it working fine. I know I can do the same for this but since I actually paid for a working copy of win 7 on this laptop I want to make sure I get what I paid for. Especially should MS ever find out a way to kill activation on a modded bios.

Brainsuck

So if I install a a copy of Win7 Home Premium 64 OEM and use the serial listed it should work? Would I need to insert the Cert? That is provided the key on the sticker is correct. Could I run magicbean keyfinder check the serial? If it matches whats on the sticker it's obviously not a Win7 serial on the sticker.

4. DataRight

DataRight MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    If I'm not totally wrong, you should be able to install the Win 7 OEM version, use the key on your sticker, and activate by phone to M$.

You usually can't activate online with an OEM sticker key. Sometimes it works, though. I don't know why?

At least that was the case with Win XP/Vista.

Also the already installed OS has probably a Lenovo OEM:SLP key and will not be the same as on the sticker. It's your own unique serial in case you need to reinstall.

5. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    you dont need to flash it already has slic 2.1 on it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I assume the machines are shipping with SLIC 2.1 BIOSes. If that happened to me I'd just shrug, wipe the hard drive, install Win7 from a generic disk, and insert Lenovo Certificate+ Lenovo OEM:SLP product key. That's what I'd do even if the machine shipped with Win7 since OEMs bog down their pre-installs with useless garbage.

7. bambara

bambara MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Shouldn't they recall them back and fix their mistake? That would seem as the wise thing to do, business-wise at least.

But if they don't, you can go with what WinFLP said. First, though, use a tool to check that the SLIC you have is indeed 2.1. Maybe they even made a mistake with that :p

8. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Heh.

I hear you people making bad business decisions. None of you will never be an owner or administrator of a business and if you are then you should be fired for stupidity. Lenovo seems to have made a big mistake. However suggesting that the computer maker should ship thousands of laptops back through the mail and clog the postal service is sheer stupidity. The only cost-effective way to remedy this situation is to slipstream a Windows 7 oem and send the discs out to customers. It won't cost them much of anything doing it this way. Suggesting a recall that could cost millions of dollars versus a mere under 10 grand USD solution. They'll send out discs. Recall is stupidity and they would never do that.

9. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #10 WinFLP, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  10. bambara

Oct 18, 2009
    I was merely suggesting that the company should fix their mistake. I actually didn't know that the mistake affected thousands of laptops shipped, because .. well, I didn't bother to read the lenovo thread. A recall is one way to fix such mistake. Sending out DVDs and making the users install the OS themselves is making consumers go through a process which they should have done.

Not all business decisions should be taken with cost-reduction in mind. A company who does that is short-sighted. A company's first and foremost concern should be to be build trust and a good relationship between it and it's customers. I don't know about you, but if a company sells me a defective product, and then slaps me with a DVD to fix the problem myself, I won't buy from that company again. I'd rather go with a company who fixes their own mistakes. Even better, one that doesn't make a mistake in the first place.

But hey, I'm just some twat speaking out of my ass... "stupid" as you have so deliberately called me :p.

11. FuSchnickens

Jul 31, 2009
    Lenovo said they are looking into a solution and it's been like this for 3-4 days. What a piece of s**t company. I read that someone did do an install of Win7 and used the key on the laptop and it worked. I've got a copy of Win7 Home Premium downloading right now.

12. ennio

ennio Guest

Well said. Another reason why not to buy from them.

Thank you for the info.

13. FuSchnickens

Jul 31, 2009
    This new laptop that was suppose to come with Win7 doesn't even have Slice 2.1

14. eltrkbrd

eltrkbrd MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    Y550 - Win 7 COA yet ships with Vista - no Slic 2.1

So I have this new Y550 sitting here that has the Win 7 COA sticker on the bottom and Win 7 labeled all over the box and invoice but yet it shipped with Vista preinstalled.

So I ran the tools and ACPI SLIC is 2.0. So how would Lenovo ship Windows 7 OEM SLP with SLIC 2.0 instead of 2.1?

I'd like to get 7 on here, is the best way to just mod the SLP marker?

~TIA

15. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Check the support site to see if there's an update for the BIOS.

I'd avoid modding the BIOS to ensure I don't have any potential warranty claims problems. I'd run a loader until Lenovo sorts things out. If they eventually release a BIOS update, apply the update and remove the loader.

16. FuSchnickens

Jul 31, 2009
    The 1st thing I did was check to see if there was a BIOS update and there wasn't a damn thing unless I missed it. I'm sending this my laptop back to these inept bastards tomm.

17. DataRight

DataRight MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    But if you have a sticker with a Win7 key on it, and want to be legit, couldn't you just use the COA key with a downloaded OEM version of Win7 and activate it manually?

If it accepts the serial during install, it shouldn't be a problem activating it, most likely by phone? Probably the fastest way to get it up and running from the lokks of it.

I'm not saying that it would work 100%. Just trying to help you out here... :)

Someone at Lenovo made a big no-no, though. Reading through the posts at Lenovos forum makes me believe that it was advertised as a Win7 machine, right?
    I'd shout and scream to get a replacement computer or at least a DVD sent out to me....

18. FuSchnickens

Jul 31, 2009
    DataRight,

I tried that and it did not work. And yes this laptops did vome advertised as as having Win7 64. This is from another laptop forum:

"Either Lenovo provides a BIOS Upgrade (to ACPI Slic 2.1) and HD Replacement imaged with Windows 7 (and recovery partition) or I'm demanding a Replacement.

The reason why these didn't ship with Windows 7 is because the BIOS on the Y550 doesn't support ACPI Slic 2.1 (only ACPI 2.0 for Vista OEM SLP).

Yes, you can install and activate Windows 7 OEM but that's not the same as the Lenovo supplied "pre-activated" OEM (SLP 2.1) installation of Windows 7!

....huge difference between being able to recover/reinstall Windows without having to go through the unreliable and flaky process of online activation."

I expect to get what I paid for, it's that simple. Otherwise, it's consumer fraud...

Not to mention it's a strict licensing violation for Lenovo to provide a Windows 7 COA preinstalled with Vista!"

Seems like us installing Win 7 by ourselves might not be a good long term solution.

Also, Lenovo giving us Vitsa OS with Win 7 OEM key which we paid for is something that we all should notify Microsoft about.

19. bambara

Oct 18, 2009
    Whoever wrote that is right and that's what I was trying to say with my previous post. Slapping you with Win7 DVD and telling you to fix their mistake might not prove to be the wisest of decisions for several reasons:

1- It's their mistake and they should rectify it themselves.
    2- Like the person above said, installing a Win7 on a Vista machine is not the same as having an OEM pre-activated Windows 7 machine with SLIC 2.1.
    3- Believe it or not, not all people know how to install an OS.
    4- If the DVD was lost in the future, and you had to format you HDD, you will pretty much be screwed... you will be forced to either revert back to Vista since you don't have SLIC 2.1 or to mod your BIOS.

And those are just from the top of my head. Not all business decisions end with someone saying, "hey this is the least costly method, let's go for it!"

I hope that they take back your machine and you provide you with what you actually paid for. Good luck...