Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga IBM Maintence disk

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by atb990, Jun 10, 2014.

1. atb990

atb990 MDL Novice

May 28, 2014
    Hello,

Before I embark, I have a lenovo Thinkpad S1 Yoga 20CD with the encrypted Drive (got it from work)

Anyways, Lenovo Technician had to replace motherboard, he messed up, i gotta redo.

I would like to do this myself, I have recieved the technicians tools (IBM maintence disk and Floppymaker thing), although I am not 100% sure how to go about it.

All I know is lots of firmware errors in events and performance a bit wacky at times, especially with multiple graphical applications, visual studio no way.

So, anyone with experience let me know what to do? I have never had hardware encryption before.

The Reset windows does nothing, must re enter into bios proper product #.

If anyone wants the maintence disk, I believe it is the latest version.

2. MrG

MrG MDL Addicted

May 31, 2010
  3. atb990

atb990 MDL Novice

May 28, 2014
    well given the technical support rep gave me the disk under confidence i wanted to avoid using their community, I do have on-site service, just given the huge blunder by the last one i wanted to see if it was worth doing myself. I will give their on-site another try.

Thanks though

4. atb990

atb990 MDL Novice

May 28, 2014
    may i ask what your opinion may be with regards to just completely wiping the disk and reinstalling windows?

They are sending a technician to replace the board again as it is their policy to replace the board whenever they modify the bios ... but it would be nice to have a little more control in my system setup, although I am not 100% on doing so.

5. MrG

MrG MDL Addicted

May 31, 2010
    #5 MrG, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    Neither of my Lenovo Laptops (W510 Thinkpad & G500) have given me any problems. The G500 is a cheapo I use for travel & it has been hacked (Gmail email account) using the hotel wireless though.

On my thinkpad I was considering installing a SSD on it but still haven't yet.
    You may of got a lemon, hopefully the next MB R&R will make it good.

On wiping the disk & installing windows again, to be safe I'd use a manufacturer restore disk & go through the garbage manual removal again.

6. atb990

atb990 MDL Novice

May 28, 2014
    Well he has finally come, still full of problems, the technician said the key is embedded into the hardware so I can use any windows 8.1 installation image, wish me luck.