Lenovo Type 20FR Thinkpad in Bios loop after BIOS Update

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by soufender, Nov 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    #1 soufender, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Win10 prompted Restart for a System Update.
    I accepted restart (thinking it was a normal W10 update). It then started to Upgrade the BIOS!!
    I allowed the Bios upgrade to complete ... I didn't want a 'Bricked' PC!!
    Laptop rebooted normally with the LENOVO label and the msg "To interrupt normal startup,press Enter"

Laptop then repeated this sequence for ever without moving to the W10 login and desktop.
    Please can you describe how to flash a 'correct' BIOS to restore a friendly laptop.

I have uploaded some jpg's taken from within the 'rogue' BIOS below.

Thanks in advance for any help..... As it is not 'Bricked' I'm hoping I can recover my Laptop

2. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    The Jpegs I took are below ....

Attached Files:

3. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm hoping a knowledgeable MDL expert can advise me how to re-flash my BIOS when the Windows 10 software isn't available but am a bit concerned that there has been no response so far for 6 days.
    Please let me know if more if more info is needed.

Would my problem be better opened in the Windows 10 forum in MDL?

4. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Your bios is not bricked. If it was, your laptop would not display anything.
    You will have to take a look at your operating system. Did you install windows on it or is it the original windows install from lenovo? Can you boot a windows install media usb drive? Try to change bios mode from UEFI to CSM or vice-versa.

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #5 kaljukass, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    One more thing you could say - is this drive where the OS is located using Bitlocker or any other encrypting? And as I can see, currently UEFI is turned off, was Your OS installed as legacy ie BIOS booting OS.

PS.
    It is quite likely that nothing has happened with this BIOS, but at the same time whether it was still updated because it is not the latest version. It was released on Aug 03, 2018
    The latter was released on Jul 13 2020, but since I don't have the exact details of your computer, I can't say if it's also suitable for your computer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    Thank you both for your updates.
    The laptop was purchased from a company that refurbishes Lenovo Laptops.
    It contained a completely fresh WIN10 installation when I bought it a few months ago and has been working perfectly apart from this problem.
    The model is ...Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Machine Type: 20FR.
    I have checked pressing F12 with a known good Bootable USB-connected CD.

It correctly allowed me to select the CD in the Boot Menu.
    I could hear that the CD was active and attempting to Boot but not surprised that nothing was displayed on screen.

I believe from lenovo support site that the current BIOS level available is N1FUJ40,iso
    Should I put this on a CD and attempt a CD install by pressing F12 ??

I am very aware that if I make a mistake I could end up 'Bricked'.

Could you please suggest my best next action?
    I would really appreciate your advice.

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    @kaljukass
    When I first had this problem I did a google searchj for NVMe0 because it refers to the SSD that the BIOS refers to at the top of the liust
    If you browse lenovo.forums on the first page of goole hits there is an almost identical to my problem!!
    It is reported by a Mr Sperger but it is so long that I don't really unsderstand it or the solution.

When you have a moment, could you take a look at it please.
    I think it is very relevant to my problem.

If any other MDL member sees this maybe they might like to Google NVMe0 (Not lower case 'e' and 0 is zero)

All comments are Welcome!!!

9. Mosfet-Zinc

Mosfet-Zinc MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2020
    Hello all
    This is my first post.

I had the same issue with an windows update and impossible to boot (on Thinkpad X250)
    trying all imaginable setting in Bios
    i try to reinstall win10 without any sucess even trying all version (usb isnstall is not booting at all with Win 10 ) Win 8.1 is ok
    i try to reinstall the last image that i have made with Macrium, but when restarting no boot
    Then 1 week later i find a way to get it work,i successfully installed Windows 10 version 20h2
    here is the workaround to make it boot
    if in usb you can boot to Macrium or any Winpe Win10 then
    Copy from the key the file bootx64.efi

in a new fresh install:
    Make a windows 10 usb Key but to make it boot you will have to replace the file "bootx64.efi" in \EFI\Boot ( for me with the Usb Macrium bootx64.efi file)
    then the installation begin but when it's rebooting it will not reboot don't worry it's ok

You will have to go into the partition of the hard disk (with a Windows live USB__ Winpe,Hiren,Sergei,)
    find the Efi partition and replace the file "bootx64.efi" in \EFI\Microsoft\Boot
    Then the windows installation can continue and finish ok
    i have now installed the last version of win10 version 20h2
    it's working great ! now

if someone has got an idea to edit the Bios so it can accept all Uefi Windows version. i take the solution

10. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    Mosfet-Zinc ... Thank you for your update - Interesting!

So Kaljukass was correct when he believed nothing has happened to the BIOS.
    I will try to use your information to attempt to recover my Windows10.

if someone has got an idea to edit the Bios so it can accept all Uefi Windows version. I would be interested also !!!
    Any other MDL expert have any ideas on this disaster?

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If your Lenovo back to work and let me know what BIOS version it's out there at the moment, but it would be good to know what was originally there when it left the factory, and I'll try to find out how to proceed.
    The problem is that this version has several different parallel versions and it is necessary to find out which one this particular version is and which versions of BIOS are there recommended.
    It would be recommended to use service assistant, if it has. Usually it will recommend any good updates. But one is clear, BIOS will not update by itself and always is recommended to update step-by-step from older to newer not not recommended skip any urgent update. It's very important. Usually come out also firmware updates, if some BIOS update have been releases.
    As far as UEFI is concerned, it becomes clear when you/we know exactly which version it is and whether this version can be upgraded to a version that has been released by the factory with at least with Windows 8 or 8.1 installed on it by factory. (Refurbised versions don't have anyway UEFI).
    Lenovo has been announced that it will not develop UEFI versions for older releases. It means, if Your computer came aout without UEFI, (most likely came with Windows 7 preinstalled), then these versions don't have firmware/sofware for using UEFI.
    One of these is here on the table in the next room. If to look at the BIOS, there are UEFI settings available, but there is no software released by Lenovo for it because it came out with Windows 7.

12. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    #13 soufender, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    (OP)
    Created Bootable USB using Media Creation Tool.
    Tested that it is bootable using F12 on a good Lenovo Laptop.
    On faulty L/top ...Booted L/top and pressed F12... displayed 'Entering Boot Menu'
    Selected correct USB on Boot selection menu ... got Blank display !!
    Current Bios level is N1FET64W(1,38)

Can someone help me with what to do next?
    (MDL man MosFet-Zinc) Are you still there ?

Attached Files:

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Are you still sure you used the USB 2.0 port or did you add USB 3.0 drivers to boot using the USB 3.x port?

14. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    No Win10 operating system was loaded so I don't know whether USB 2.0 or 3.0 drivers were used.

I just used 1 of the 2 USB ports on the right hand side that I would normally use for a F12 Boot.

15. Mosfet-Zinc

Mosfet-Zinc MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2020
    Hello
    it has something to do with Legacy EFI Screen Resolution.

Some early UEFI BIOS chipsets are incompatible with Windows 10 Pre-Installation Environment graphics output. Selecting this option will cause the PE 5.0 EFI microcode to be used instead of PE 10 when starting boot
    My file bootx64.efi is made with Legacy EFI Screen Resolution
    This is an option i choose when i was making a Rescue from the Software Macrium reflect

16. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    #17 soufender, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    (OP)
    My experience with Macrium is that I have only ever used Backup/Restore option and until now 'never' the Rescue Media Builder.
    Rescue Media has quite a number of options that are obviously important when configuring Rescue Builder.
    For example: Boot Menu, Multi-Boot, Windows RE, PE5, PE10.
    To be honest, I just don't know which one to choose (it's probably my age!!!)
    I do understand the file bootfx64.efi that I need to copy from the USB key - I have seen it on the several Macrium Rescues that I have built in the last few days.
    Obviously this can only be done when I have built a Macrium Rescue that is bootable on the my faulty laptop.
    Can it be built from a Win10 pc ? Your update seems to suggest that it might need to be built using Win8.1??

Could you give me more detail please ??

17. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    #18 soufender, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    (OP)
    Over the last few days I have created Macrium PE Bootable versions for PE2, PE5 and PE10 for USB
    and also DVD. I have also tried a currently created Windows 10 USB.

I was NOT succesful in booting ANY of these on this Lenovo laptop although ALL successfully booted on another Lenovo laptop.

I'm sure MDL user (OP)
    Mosfet-Zinc

is correct in his use of bootfx64.efi to fix this problem but until I can use F12 Boot I am stumped.
    Unfortunately, unless MosfetZinc updates this I have run out of ideas.

Can any other person with F12 experience help PLEASE.

18. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    This problem has been solved after discussion with laptop supplier's tech support.

19. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Nice it's been solved . what was the solution?