Lenovo U330: Hidden BIOS options?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by theletterj, Oct 26, 2009.

1. theletterj

theletterj MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2009
    #1 theletterj, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Okay, so this is actually two questions, so let me start with a little background info:
    The Lenovo U330 has both an integrated graphics card and a discrete one, switchable in Windows (Vista and XP 32bit only). The switching software will not work on 64-bit versions at all. There are two options in the BIOS: "Discrete Only" and "Switchable". The problem is that there is no option to use only the Integrated Graphics in order to conserve battery life. If it is set to "Switchable", both cards will draw power, which is actually worse than just using "Discrete Only".

So my question is: Is there any way to write a third option into the BIOS where the Discrete card is powered off and the Integrated card in powered on? Perhaps modifying the ACPI table with an entry where Discrete is in D3 and Integrated is D1?

Secondly, I know that there is a way that people have been using to enable VT on InsydeH2O BIOSes that sometimes works. I was wondering if there is a way to definitively get the BIOS to show this as an option. I've heard that there are hidden menus, so perhaps there is a way to unhide them?

I'm just looking for some pointers as I'm pretty new at this. I've been reading up on DannyRes and Yen's Insyde threads, but I feel like I'm in over my head there. I don't even know what GUIDs to look for or what to do with them if I did. Sooo....your thoughts?

Here's a copy of the U330 BIOS (SLIC 2.1, though I've only tested it myself) as a starting point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    There are two possibilities:

1. A "integrated-only" option exists and is simply hidden.
    2. Such an option was never coded into the BIOS in the first place.

It might be possible to work around a hidden menu using methods similar to the VT enabling hack, but if the option was never there I don't think you can just code it in.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. theletterj

theletterj MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2009
    Any idea as to how to unhide the option if it's there? Or even just see what's hidden and work from there?

4. theletterj

theletterj MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2009
    Sorry to bump, but I'm waiting for someone with a better understanding of InsydeH2O to offer some insight.