Lenovo Windows 7 --->Enhanced Experience<--- Ultimate Recovery

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cronas, Nov 4, 2009.

1. cronas

cronas MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    #1 cronas, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    SHORT VERSION:

IS THERE ANYWHERE OUT THERE A LENOVO WINDOWS 7 ENHANCED EXPERIENCE RECOVERY IMAGE OUT THERE?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LONG VERSION:

Hello there!
    According to Lenovo, they worked with Microsoft while Windows 7 was developped to optimise it for Lenovo Systems, the result is Windows 7 Enhanced Experience or Win7ee. Win7ee is compatible with many Lenovo Systems, however you only get Win7ee if you bought that System after 10/22/09. Even if Lenovo promised a free copy of Windows 7 to people buying a Lenovo between 6/27 and 10/22, so when Microsoft releaed the RTM, you won't get a Win7ee.
    Here is what Lenovo officially has to say about it, skip the following paragraph if you want, it's what I said above:

"If you buy a system between 6/27 and 10/22, you have a Vista COA (which may also entitle you to the XP downgrade the system may have shipped with). Microsoft granted purchasers of qualifying system, the ability to receive a Win 7 upgrade CD/DVD which is essentially the standard over the counter Windows 7. Also included will be a Lenovo drivers disk. The combination is not a "Lenovo Image" in the way that Recovery DVDs are.
    Customers will be able to download the EE enhanced BIOS and drivers for qualifying systems.
    Once Win 7, + the BIOS, + EE drivers are installed, the principle difference between that level machine and what is shipped after the 22nd is the way in which the image is built. I am not an expert on imaging, but there are optimizations in terms of registry, order in which drivers are loaded, etc, etc. This all comes from the factory image for those systems that ship from the factory with Win 7 preloaded.
    Machines purchased before the 22nd don't have a Windows 7 COA on the system, and are not entitled to that image. We can't sell or give away those images - they have to match up with systems that are licensed for them.
    Hope that helps to clarify for now, and I expect you will get to hear more, directly from the experts in the coming days."

So there's a difference if you buy Windows 7 and download the driver or you install the Windows 7 enhanced experience recovery. Only the latter will have the deep system optimizations, the former is only able to download the drivers.

-------> Is there any Windows 7 Enhanced Experience Recovery ready to download out there?

2. cronas

cronas MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    I'm really mad at Lenovo, they told us that if we buy a Machine between 6/27 and 10/22, we're entitled to a free copy of Windows 7, so what's the reason to wait, right? So that's what I thought and bought a system at the beginning of october. Now I see that I better would have waited a month longer so that I get a System that boots 20% faster and shuts down within five seconds...

by the way, does anybody know if Recovery DVDs are system specific or do they create one for all their systems? I mean due to hardware differences the optimizations have to be hardware specific and hence individual systems receive different optimizations... So does every Lenovo System have a dedicated recovery DVD? If so, I might just give up ever finding a recovery image on the nets for my system sometime...

3. shadow_shd

shadow_shd MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Hi,

As far as I know (I'm working as a computer technician, and I'm used to OEM recovery procedures), a recovery kit made for a computer ABC model XYZ will work on every ABC computer model XYZ.

You can use a recovery kit made for XYZ on XYY model, but if hardware is too different (chipset, video card...), you may experience system crashes or drivers not installed.

I even used a home premium edition recovery kit on a Fujitsu-Siemens computer, which was delivered with a basic edition of Vista, and the OS installed fine and auto activated with no gliches.

++

4. cronas

cronas MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    what do you think, how likely will there be a lenovo win7ee recovery image available the net?

5. photonboy

photonboy MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    very likely but i guess itll be a while. the recovery disk for vista ultimate for t61 were available so i guess ppl would extract the recovery partition, burn them into dvds and upload as well. let's pray!

6. unity

unity MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2009
    You can download torrent of Lenovo/IBM Windows 7 Home Premium Recovery DVD X86 EN-US from the pirate bay.

7. cronas

cronas MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    #7 cronas, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    (OP)
    yeah, but how do you know it's a Windows 7 Enhanced Experience Recovery? Not a regular Recovery image? It also doesn't say for what Laptop Model/Range this Recovery is... Beside that, it's Home Premium and only 32 bit.

8. jasiekg

jasiekg MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    I believe quite a lot of us will be waiting for someone to share the EE version of ultimate 64bit. Lenovo did such a rip off... I got a >2000$ t400s before the 22nd and now I'm being told I can't get the full EE experience.... utter bull$%*p..

9. cronas

cronas MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    my words jasiekg, except that I bought a W500...

maybe the Systems with a win7ee preload and recovery partitition haven't been shipped yet? maybe that's why there's no recovery image out there yet...

10. Slade

Slade MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    Ran across the following: Lenovo/IBM Windows 7 Home Premium Recovery DVD x86:

avaxhome[dot]ws/software/software_type/os_lowlevel/Distributive_OS_Windows/Lenovo_IBM_Windows_7_Home_Premium_Recovery_DVD_x86.html

I have no idea whether this is an EE Lenovo Recovery or not. Nor do I know whether or not this specific image is authentic.

Hotfile and File Factory download links.

11. cronas

cronas MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    That two class policy of Lenovo really drives me mad
    They advertised that when we buy our systems before 22th of octobre, they are giving us Windows7 for free once it's been released officially.
    So we ordered our Systems before the official release of Windows7 beacause we thought, oh well, why wait if we can get it for free later... So here's what they're doing. Since 22th of octobre they are shipping two versions of recovery discs, the normal thing for those dumb people buying it before 22th and an enhanced experience for people who waited.... what the f**k

12. tom.slick

tom.slick MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2008
    So they decline to give you any version on windows 7?
    No, just not the super hyped version they are using to make people think they have something special to sell
    They will honer your upgrade, just not to that version.

non-win7ee versions boot this fast too.
    and as for shutdown
    In as little means it could if conditions are right
    Do you have win 7 installed yet, how long does it take to shutdown?
    My non lenovo desktop takes about 9 seconds to shutdown, 4 seconds longer, wow I'm disappointed with that time.

So I guess no HD graphics, digital audio or DX10
    Your HD video must be blurry and stutter because cpu is doing the decoding and not the gpu. but that would be on the hardware not the operating system
    and I don't know about lenovo but my windows 7 has DX11 installed
    I don't have a DX11 capable gpu but damned if I don't have DX11

After the bios and driver update the only thing you might be missing is OneKey Rescue System 7.0 and Lenovo Rescue System 3.0

13. jasiekg

jasiekg MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    3 weeks from the release date... anyone came across the preload disc iso or would like to share one?

14. Speedy

Speedy MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2009
    page not found

15. jasiekg

jasiekg MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    Sorry for blatant bumping-up, but I still can't find those ISOs anywhere :( and this forum seems like a good chance of getting them...

16. cronas

cronas MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    any news on this?
    so far I haven't found anyting anywhere :confused:

17. jimsonfreak

jimsonfreak MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #17 jimsonfreak, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    The Recovery DVDs Lenovo distributes (for new machines that ship with Windows 7, and probably as part of the upgrade kit for qualifying systems) are just regular Windows 7 setup disks prepped with Microsoft's OPK for Windows 7, i.e. with the addition of the $oem$ structures and the autounattend.xml file in the second image of the boot.wim file. I made myself one while I'm still waiting for the "free" upgrade to ship (I own a qualifying, but pre-Oct./22 ThinkPad T400).

What he's looking for are the recovery images Lenovo builds for each model & type, for use when imaging the computers prior to ship them and as part of the Rescue&Recovery (for ThinkPads) / One Key Recovery (for Ideapad, 3000 series & others) functionality. They build those images by installing Windows the usual way on a reference system, adding drivers, customizations and tweaks, then sysprep the machine and factory-seal it, before capturing the C drive into a WIM image.

Lenovo doesn't distribute those images, they can only be found when you purchase a new computer with Windows 7. There's only two ways to get your hand on the image for your exact system. Either:
    • Find someone with the same machine as yours (i.e. same model & type) but that got shipped with Windows 7 (so in my case, I would be looking for someone who bought a ThinkPad T400 2764 with Windows 7), grab the WIM file associated with the C drive (it was cdrivebackup.wim for Vista) from the recovery partition, and make yourself recovery disks or make one using Recovery & Rescue from the person's machine).
    • If you have some spare cash at hand, buy yourself another machine of the exact same model and type, configure it with Windows 7, have it shipped, ghost it without ever booting into the OOBE of Windows 7 (so to preserve the seal state on the sysprep'ed machine), or else grab the WIM file, and return the computer afterward. The seals on both the box and computer transparent wrapping will be broken, but since you never *technically* first-booted and used the machine it should only cost you some restocking fees. But don't take my word for it, you'll have to dig into the terms of returning a Lenovo computer before doing that.

This is assuming you (will) have a Windows 7 COA, of course.

Edit: Be careful with option #2, some people ordered IdeaPad systems with Windows 7, and got machines with Windows Vista pre-installed instead! Now Lenovo is asking them to send back the machines to have them re-imaged. What a mess...

18. jimsonfreak

jimsonfreak MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, just forget I even mentioned a second option. Lenovo, like most major computer manufacturers, only accepts returns for defective/DOA and unopened computers, i.e. with the computer wrapping & sticker(s) still intact. Even if you were able to accomplish the impossible feat of getting the image and sending back the computer still sealed, they'll charge you a 20% restocking fee.

I guess you'll have to start asking around for people that have a machine with the same product number as yours (e.g. 2764-CTO, 2668-KHU, etc.) that came with Windows 7 pre-installed.

19. cronas

cronas MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    this, in lack of other words, f**king sucks
    thank you for your informative reply jimsonfreak

20. ausdim

ausdim MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2008
    #20 ausdim, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    I have the two dvd's come from lenovo to me...

I have to say the Windos 7 Ultimate upgrade media is a standar windows 7 ultimate 64bit en. :p

Also the other disk named: Companion Disc for Windows 7 Upgrade Media have only the Lenovo driver update software. :mad:

So the only good think i have from all that story is a legit OEM key come with the disk.

At all, nothing special only a windows 7 ultimate 64bit dvd (you can download it everywear) and the system update software v.4 (can be downloaded from lenovo support)...:eek:

Thanks