Lenovo with downgrade rights - which version of Win7 is it?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by S_SubZero, Apr 2, 2013.

1. S_SubZero

S_SubZero MDL Member

Sep 22, 2012
    We're getting new Lenovos at work with Win7 preloaded, and Win8 on DVDs. There is no key on a COA on the Lenovo for Win7. Since the SSDs they use are only 180GB, we typically yank it out and swap it with a 256/512GB per user needs. We then load Win8 from a clean USB stick which activates and life goes on....

...except when the user needs Windows 7. My issue is, I don't know which version to install. I mean I know it's Pro, but I tried a clean full Win7 Pro install, and Jellybean Keyfinder got the installation key off the Win7 SSD, but when I try putting it in, it won't activate. I have a feeling the installation media they use is a special spin that I don't have, not a regular retail or MSDN image, but something specific to downgrade rights. I'm trying to avoid burning through our Win7 licenses unnecessarily, if I can figure out what type of image they use, I can just get it and activate it with the existing key.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    So they are equipped with SLIC 2.1. You need to install proper cert along with the key to activate.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May you check for the ei.cfg file within the preloaded Win7, that should gives you the answer what exactly version is it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Even if there is recovery partition there will not be a ei.cfg file that is only stored in sources folder on install media even then if it is OEM:SLP installation there still won't be ei.cgf.file the windows installed version would be determined either by key in Autounattend.xml or slp.cmd file or can even be added via dism to .wim file. Where as recovery partition will boot into Win RE and use an install.wim

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks uirie,

Seems to be I should more "play" with not so legal stuff than I may would know!! Most of the software we're using are original with legal licenses because we work with corporates and some Gov deps only. There isn't any use of illegal stuff. Copy software we using for testing purpose only and replacing them with originals if they're worth for us.

Again, thanks for the explanation.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #8 urie, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    Not so much not so legal stuff, it is just the way OEM's make up system OEM disks they all have to follow certain guide line for OEM:SLP to Pre-Activate even since SLP 1.0 for xp ( Manufacturer SLP string in DMI area in bios Matching OEM BIOS Files + OEM:SLP key ) to pre-activate.

SLP 2.0 , 2.0 and 2.2 (Manufacturer SLIC String in bios + Matching .xrm-ms certificate + OEM:SLP key ) to pre-activate but with SLIC activation keys and certificate can be added via different methods, But all three must be present to activate :)

Recovery CD/DVD's are a different beast older ones could use say ghost image for example different manufacturers used different programs but you are recovering an image of the OS partition. But since Vista more use Win RE and Wim images.