Lenovo Y500/3000 problems

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Denco, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Denco

Denco MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2013
    Does anyone here have any experience or advice for working on a Lenovo Y500 ideapad laptop running Windows 8?
    This machine has been a stinker every since it landed on my workbench. Originally, the first complaint was that it was stuck in some loop and kept doing Windows updates and then it would restart and Revert them. This was a continuous cycle. Finally, through relentless searching on Lenovos Support Site I found out that you could what they call a "PC Refresh" by pushing a so called "novo button" on the side at startup. Well It did a PC refresh all right...It wiped out all of the programs on the laptop. But in the end it was Still running like a piece of crap.

So, having enough of this I ended up wiping the the Hard drive and installed Win 7 on it. Everything was Hunky Dory until I shut down and booted it up the next day. Then it seemed like it was taking forever to go thorough POST and once windows started...it stays at the startup screen. Nothing else.

2. Denco

Denco MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2013
    Oh, I forgot to mention. This thing has a 16GB SSD and 1TB Hard Drive. While I know I can install the the OS on the SSD how am I supposed to make the Desktop environment play nice to save files? The reason I say this is because it will probably be handed over to a sales person that is used to saving everything on the desktop. But, with a 16GB drive that isn't going to fly for very long.