LG LS50a Windows 7 activation solved and Phoenix BIOS soft mod

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pole, Jan 2, 2012.

1. pole

pole MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2012
    #1 pole, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ pole SLIC_toolKit.exe is only used to check if you have slic 2.0 or 2.1 in your bios and it can dump .bin .xrm-ms certificate and oem:slp key it does not install them. You say you did not have slic in bios but you say you did not use the loader. You must either have slic in bios or you did use the loader you cannot activate any other way.

3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It's possible that the loader activated him and that after running WAT Fix and validating online it's passed as genuine. That's often the issue people have, they think the loader hasn't worked when in fact it has but their system needs a bit of a clean up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pole

pole MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2012
    I could have sworn that I chose the .bin file myself and the only program that I believe I have been able to do this with is SLIC_toolKit.exe using "Open Ext File" on the Advanced tab. However you are correct this does not actually upload/install the file. I also thought that after running "Uninstall" in (Daz's) Windows Loader I did not run any loader program again - only executed the two DOS commands for certificates and PID and chose the .bin file in SLIC_toolKit.exe (followed by the WAT fix). However having now tried "Uninstall" again and redo the SLIC installation from a custom .bin file, I agree that this is not possible with SLIC_toolKit.exe. Somehow I must have run one of the loader programs to install the SLIC for LG as I do remember testing that no SLIC was present after running "Uninstall".

I have not figured out how to install a custom .bin file with any of the loader programs and I have in my mind that somehow I did this at one stage therefore thinking I used SLIC_toolKit.exe to install the SLIC table.

Anyway, the corrcet way to install the SLIC (and only way for non-hardcore programmers that I can see bar hard modding the BIOS) is to use one of the loader programs. As only one SLIC 2.1 .bin file exists for the LG OEM, this might have led me to believe I installed it with SLIC_toolKit.exe when trying things with this program.

Thank you for the correction.

5. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    According to the LG website- the LS50a was a Win XP & Win 2000 machine, so there was certainly nothing OEM that would activate Win7 in the BIOS unless you modded the BIOS with the correct tool (PhoenixTool.exe) then reflashed that modded SLIC 2.1 BIOS back to the laptop with a BIOS flash utility (usually run from DOS via boot CD or USB flashdrive).

Did you ever flash the BIOS on this machine? If not, then the loader is probably working....

You could always dump the BIOS and have a look at it directly- then you would know 100% certain how you're activated.

6. pole

pole MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2012
    No never flashed the BIOS and have not been able to find a hard mod for LS50-EZ1A MB on MDL (did not request one either as got the soft mod to work nearly as I was about to give up). When uninstalling the SLIC with Windows Loader, all the programs (RWEverything, HWDirect, SLIC_TooloKit, AIDA64) tell me there is no SLIC present which makes me believe there is no hard SLIC in the BIOS. I never ran these programs before my first run of the loader programs but assume the Windows Loader Uninstall command would not have been able to delete the SLIC if hard stored in the BIOS and as you mention, the LS50a was an XP machine before I installed Win 7.
    I am sure it was the clean-up and revalidation, as Daz mentioned, that got me over the line in the end.
    :)
    cheers

7. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    BIOS mods on laptops can be very tricky- if you fail, you can easily brick the laptop.
    If it's your own computer for personal use- you're probably better off using Daz's loader anyway.