LG Notebooks... how to backup the original bios??

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by KrazyKong, Dec 8, 2009.

1. KrazyKong

KrazyKong MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    I own an LG R200 notebook. The problem I am facing is that LG do not post bios updates on their website. So I have to backup my original bios before I can try the SLIC mods. Since my bios is a phoenix, how exactly can I back it up so that it is a perfect 100% backup?

I tried using the Phoenix Bios Editor to make a backup and then found posts in these forums saying how it's not a 100% correct backup. I've also seen the BIOS Backup ToolKit V2.0 by DavidXXX which seems like what I need, but again I'm not sure if that tool will do a 100% bios backup either.

My goal is to have the latest version bios modded with SLIC 2.1. If I can't find the latest version, then modding my current version to SLIC 2.1. Before I can procede with this, I need to create a backup.

Any tips from anyone on how to proceed?

2. Siliwangi

Siliwangi MDL Member

Aug 11, 2009
    my suggest for you, don`t take any risk with your current bios before manufacture release the bios update for your notebook in their website. better you wait for several time until LG release the BIOS update.

if you want install Win7 on your notebook, better use a loader it is more safety for your hardware..:)

3. KrazyKong

KrazyKong MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    LG do not publicly release bios updates for their laptops. So waiting isn't a good idea unless you want to grow old :(

4. oreon

oreon MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    #7 oreon, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    If you have Phoenix bios, you can try to make a backup using the utility SWinFlash.exe. Then it can be done modification.
    2.jpg

5. Busykid508

Busykid508 MDL Guru

Jun 4, 2009
    Backup of your bios is a waste of time. Why? Because when you backup a bios file from your computer, you cannot backup the EEPROM elements of the bios in order to flash it. In fact no matter how many times you attempt to flash a backed up bios that has been modified, it will continually give error messages.

The best thing to do is offer a download link directly from your motherboard manufacturer's website or give a modified bios file which has not been backed up.

6. KrazyKong

KrazyKong MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Hi BusyKid. Thanks for your informative reply. From past experience, backing up an awd or ami bios was possible. So when you say you cannot backup the eeprom elements, is this with regards to Phoenix bioses? or all bioses in general.

Sadly there is no download link from LG for my bios, both current, past or future. LG simply do not give a crap about their customers when it comes to bios updates. Through this forum and others I have come across an "LG BIOS CD" obtained from an LG Service Center, that contains several dozen different bioses for their laptops. However they contain newer versions of the bios than my one. Since my laptop is a rare model and has functions not available on most others, I thought it pertinent to get an exact backup of the bios on my laptop right now. Then I can proceed with trying the new ones, adding/modding the SLIC etc.

It's quite possible I'm worrying over nothing and the newer versions will work, but past experience over the years has taught me, to never take anything for granted with bios upgrades.