License Transfer

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nexus76, Jun 7, 2015.

1. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #1 nexus76, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. brownimfc

brownimfc MDL Senior Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Cheers Nexus76 that answers probably the only question I had left in that would my retail license status carry over.

I have seen people say it would but this the 1st time I have seen it confirmed by M$

3. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #3 nexus76, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    (OP)
    I found an article which linked to the site, and then I saw it has been updated today. Guess this info
    was necessary to clarify lately due to so many doubts if you'd keep the portability of your retail license.
    I guess nobody would buy a $200 dollar retail license which is bound to the hardware.
    And for sure not even upgrade from a retail to a hardware-bound lic.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Meaning you'll be forced to use an MS Account on any PC/Device you upgrade.
    Not good for me as I use multiple MS accounts on my PC for Work and Personal uses. :(

5. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #5 nexus76, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    (OP)
    They wrote you can use a migitaion key for reinstall and the iso comes pre-keyed, so there will be still a key to read out.
    For the regular normalo users it has the benefits theres no need to know the key, for microsoft its better regarding
    license reselling issues.

Or maybe Microsoft was just unconcious about this hardware binding thing:

Also a post from Paul Thurrott has been deleted already at the topic Will I get a product key, can I get a product key?

But would it be a disadvantage to need a microsoft account for redownloading a pre-keyed windows 10 iso?
    I guess not, apple does the same thing for their OS downloads.

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Yeah, the install won't be the problem.
    The problem would be having to use the MS Account linked to that key to activate the PC/Device.
    Which could get worse if you use the same email address on the 'Reserve Windows 10' app.

e.g. If I use my MS (Work) Account to reserve and upgrade to Windows 10 on my and my GF's PC's. Will I have to have that account on both PC's for them to activate :confused:

7. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #7 nexus76, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    (OP)
    No theres a different hardware hash for both machines, regardless of the account.
    Having multiple hw-fingerprints shouldn't be a problem. At least their systems should get prepared to handle it *lol*

And if you think about it once more: how will microsoft deliver their retail licenses in local stores?
    Using keys!

That's what I mean, a key to read out and input after re-installing using the migitation key will remain,
    regardless of any account. The alternative was to press serialized DVDs, which is too expensive.
    And who can be forced to login at first boot?

The big difference between apple and microsoft is:

You buy an apple device which enables you to download and install the free os x to a licensed device.
    You buy a microsoft license which may not be invalid on a new device which isn't licensed by microsoft, except oem.

That's where a hardware license binding fails.

However it's possible to re-think this registration process, as there needs to be sent sensitive and unique hardware details additionally.
    Imagine your PC get's a taceable, unique, branded machine that way.

Let's see what happens finally.

8. brownimfc

Jan 25, 2015
    Do you use a different O/S on your PC for work & personal use? If not surely any of the MS accounts will work?

9. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    What with 'pre-keys' and 'migitation keys' it seems overly complex to me, or maybe I'm just over thinking it :p

I'll wait and see, I tend to understand things better when I see them in action.
    Hopefully these migitation keys will over ride the pre-keys, as theres no way we can D/L a 3gb file for every PC, Laptop and Tablet the family owns. On our crappy 'capped' connection. :(

Different SKU's not OS's. At the moment I've got two profiles on my test laptop which I switch between.
    The problem is if i'm on the work account I can't just access files on my the Onedrive, Xbox msg's or Music from my personal account, as most MS Metro apps only allow one login. Out of the work arounds I've found different profiles or a local login are the only ones that really work. :(

10. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    Which leads to the assumption an account should not be required ;) exactly, let's find out how they thought it.
    But it's not hard to understand if you're connected to VPN and the OS makes a hash match check, it's a flaw.

11. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    I wish to point out that the page linked by OP was by a MVP, not MS official, MVP doesn't have access to MS internal stuffs, and I also noticed this MVP had posted false infos in some occasions. :p

12. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    Give us some details, FaiKee

13. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
  14. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
  15. brownimfc

Jan 25, 2015
    Got ya. I triple boot w7/w8/w10 using the one login and they all share the same data area.