Licensing VL/Retail/oem, bypass any media.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by twl1999, Nov 17, 2018.

1. twl1999

twl1999 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2017
    Don't understand why a lot of people (when ever new windows is released), asks what works for kms/mak VL, oem or retail. I've been testing every version since NT 6.0 -> NT 10.1 and as so far as long I have image based at VLSC (VOLUME licensing) or OEM. It can activate with any type of licensing retail, oem or VL keys just by clearing the keys with:

slmgr /cpky

After this command (heck I use it at $OEM$ setup folder for all installs). Any of editions since windows vista (as long originating source is VOLUME or OEM) can be activated with any legit product key to any variant of activation/license.

So, what am I missing here?

Why do people ask about what license would work with what variants or why do we even have retail/oem/vl licenced dvds in the first place having just dummy key inserted by m$ to patch the job.

2. Uniqlo

Uniqlo MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Some Retail versions can contain editions that are not available on VLSC versions and the opposite is also true.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Not many people asking that here at all, it's pretty common knowledge that the key is leading for what channel the licensing is.

We have been harassed by some re-appearing member handing out keys, though:thinking:

4. twl1999

twl1999 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2017
    @Enthousiast

Well, I don't much care where people gets what they want to run, I respect software companies, but my point-of-view is more that I repair and install a lot of OEM systems even more VLSC systems legit and hate to have multiple copies of same edition windows images which are all the same (NT6.2-6.3 pro retail excluded). Know also that you have insane level database going at SmartVersions (kinda reminds me of old ZIDRAV, heh) and there's few fellows here with amazing tools to operate, but was more of an notion as I do understand Microsoft pushing editions just to mix the soup, what I don't understand is why people at forums with people intelligent as there is here buying it. I too at (like year of the ape) was storing all sort of variants of windows, but figured at some point that with right build and license edition at hand with 2 commands (slmgr /cpky and /upk) I can remove and activate the system with any type of activation and store only 1 build/1 edition to my personal database.

Wouldn't even be surprised, if I could find a way to turn largest edition to just select packages by EditionID given to it at deployment time to cut 1 build/any-edition.

Yeah, that's true. There's versions put out as "consumer"-types also, that will not allow activation specially at NT 6.2-6.3 timeline, then again with right OEM source image you could have Windows 7 starter even to activate as VL, heh, think I tested that for fun like 2014 or something.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You are talking about very specific professional environments, we mainly talk about consumer level.

Maybe it's because i read all posts and have noticed that the comprehension level is going down, since the start of windows 10 release and all the fud about telemetry etcetc... and some just copy info gathered from people who bust their asses to find the info out.

Like all the people running for the 1809 refresh iso's like they are better to use for installations, only for upgrades it's recommended to be at least at build level 17763.55.

Actually most people only need Home and Pro (+N if needed) and you can install any consumer and business sku you want (the pro sku can upgrade all sku's except Home and CSL).

6. Uniqlo

Uniqlo MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2018
    No, win7 starter, home and ultimate editions exist only as oem and retail versions so you can't use kms tools to activate these editions, it just won't work.

7. twl1999

twl1999 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2017
    #7 twl1999, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    (OP)
    Yeah, well, this topic was about, that licensing can be applied to almost any installation of NT6/10 and as long we don't go too much offtopic. Just wanted to say:

slmgr /upk
    slmgr /cpky

Commands to cmd (or even $OEM$ folder at DVD ran before you activate windows and you can pretty much activate it any legit key, if you have it and don't have to store retail/vl/oem variants separately, if someone is "collecting" or just making personal media.

@Uniqlo

Yeah, might be, could be that I just remember wrong. Just recall testing some absolutely not doable and got it working as VL, heh.

OFFTOPIC:

@Enthousiast

That would be roger 5-5...

Heh, windows 10, o boy that's a load of it, we have 1 new feature (directx 12) rest is bloatware. What goes to media like mentioned 1809 (Sure love the 17763.1, bet MS had fun "sorry we accidentally removed data at your profile folder, but it's because you moved your data and still copied to profile folder".), someone sure should get "bitch slapped" for giving us 8-9 builds(1507,1511,1607,1703,1709,1803,1809,190X) without upgrade/servicing capability (other than dumping the whole media). That's 8 builds so far total with 8 editions of server and 13 editions of workstations in 2 arch to store. Just went thru that hell 232 builds/editions total so far.

Never was looking much to telemetry topics (or as we used to call is callback home at 90's) as you probably understand, when you install any NT system you start with A. unattaching it from network and through B-Z. (blah blah) update, kill updates -> gpedit, registry, stop services/drivers not needed for equipment, scheduler, autoruns and block the OS with some firewall that actually informs what connections are made at screen (basically block everything else except the 53,67-68 at svthost). Was more interested over what they did after Windows 7 and started pushing all the ugly stuff to "Task Scheduler" instead of having uglies as services(vista-7) or hidden to some registry keys (2000-XP).

8. windows2k

windows2k MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2020
    @twl1999 Interesting, I've been wondering how people will be able to use Vista in the future once Microsoft kills the activation servers. Ultimate is really the only useful edition, and it's retail only. So even if you have a key, they can cut you off whenever they want.

Would your slmgr commands work against Vista Ultimate?

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Vista Ultimate can be OEM:SLP-activated (SLIC 2.0). Problem solved.