light windows for WinToUsb

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by gimbolta, Jul 23, 2015.

1. gimbolta

gimbolta MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015
    Hello to all the people in mdl forums! So that's my first thread, so forgive me if i do smthg wrong!:)

I have this 4gb usb flash drive and want to make it a windows driver (using WinToUsb app) for my laptop.
    *The laptop has no hard drive.
    *I have another 4gb flash drive i can use.
    Can it hold Windows 7 home premium or do i need a larger flash drive?
    Or witch OS is light enough for a 4gb flash drive?

All i need to do is use the laptop just for internet browsing just for a month, until i get a hard drive.
    *i dont't have time for studying linux!:eek:

2. Hello,

I have used WinToUSB but I can't remember exactly the amount of space needed for Windows 7. I believe it uses a little less than the official requirements... (Officially Windows 7 needs at least 16 GiB for a 32-bit installation and 20 for a 64-bit) So, without doubt, I think you need more than 4 GiB but I can't ensure you 16 GiB are enough; 32 are.
    On the other hand, running an OS on USB stick is recommended with memory sticks that have good reads and writes.
    If you still want to use Windows 7 + WinToUSB, maybe Starter edition and 16 GiB can do the work.
    I do not know what's your meaning of Internet browsing and aside of your skills with Linux I suggest you to use Ubuntu + Rufus (rufus.akeo.ie); it fits in that 4 GiB sticks and you can do live boot without need to install it.

Good luck!

3. gimbolta

gimbolta MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015
    Ī¤hanks a lot mate!
    How about a link for downloading <ubuntu+rufus> to the stick? I understand that's an OS that comes with an internet browser and all, right?

4. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    You can easily find ubuntu if you google search it. Same goes for rufus

5. gimbolta

gimbolta MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015
    thanks!
    Installed ubuntu on the stick, everything works fine, i browse the internet with ubuntu firefox just fine, but trying to get to a flash internet game i have to download flash player.
    So i download it, but the flash player exe file won't run, and i get the "an error has occurred" window.
    What should i do?
    Note that i run ubuntu just from the stick and has not installed it, since there's no hard drive in the laptop.

6. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Linux doesn't use .exe files for installation, thats only a linux thing. To my knowledge, there was a version of flash on linux, however I think Adobe has abandoned it; some sites should still work with HTML5 though.

7. #8 Deleted member 493263, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    You could get Flash Player from Ubuntu Software Center ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Software_Center#/media/File:Ubuntu_Software_Center_icon_v3.svg ).
    Search for "flash player" and install it (You don't need to get installed Ubuntu); that's all.
    If for some reason that version doesn't work you maybe can install manually Fresh Player Plugin (by Rinat Ibragimov; webupd8.org/2015/01/fresh-player-plugin-sees-new-release.html )