Lightscribe DVD player stopped writing DVD but can read?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by usermydigitallyfe, Oct 30, 2019.

1. usermydigitallyfe

usermydigitallyfe MDL Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Help!

I have Lightscribe DVD player which has stopped writing DVD's but can read Already written DVD's.

So please help in restoring writing capability of the Lightscribe DVD player,

I mean how can do it ? Is there a head part inside which I can clean ? Is there a any other error which is causing this problem ? I am using SONY DVD 's for writing some stuff.

Or I have to replace it with new one ?

If i have buy new one then which DVD player shall I buy ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    Those devices have 2 laser heads, one for reading and another for writing, try to clean both heads with isopropyl alcohol, let it dry and test again, if this don't work buy a new one, they are very cheap this days, about wich to buy it depends of your budget and what are you going to find on local stores, I suggest to by Samsung (my prefered), usually many other brands do not make the devices themselves and only put their names on them as Sony and LG do.

But let me tell you something, in very short time you will not find DVD discs anymore, they tend to dissapear from stores (as happened to vhs tape cartridges some time ago), because almost nobody buy them this days.

So I better suggest you to start thinking in other type of media to store your Info, music or movies as USB sticks of big size. Or an external USB hard disk.

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    ODD's used to be really cheap... like $12. to $15. but today they are going for $20. and up. Probably because people no longer use them anymore. Most software today is either downloaded or on a usb.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. usermydigitallyfe

Oct 30, 2016
    Ok will try cleaning both heads...with isopropyl alcohol.

5. usermydigitallyfe

Oct 30, 2016
    yes....... used to be really cheap... but lets try to repair and if incase it doesn't get going then I have to think of buying.

6. usermydigitallyfe

Oct 30, 2016
    Is there a DVD cleaner Software Disk available which can clean dirty parts of DVD Player ? I mean to can it cleaned without opening the DVD player case ....

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #7 Joe C, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  8. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Sony optical drives used to be good but then they went to Optiarc(NEC/Sony) and became crap. Ive had mixed results with Samsung LG and Liteon drives, some last a long time, others die within weeks or months, havnt tried Pioneer yet.

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    One time quite a long time ago I got an Optiarc drive and it was DOA right out of the box, I never bought another one since. The Lite On drives are good for a while but the doors do not want to open when they get old. I currently have an LG drive in my pc and so far I have no problem with it.

10. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Same as mine, dead. My first optical drive was a Sony Retail with Nero 5.5, beige, it felt like a sony, drawer was silent and smooth, didnt snap open and shut.

11. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    The odds are not on your side try cleaning it but must likely is time to go find another player.

12. usermydigitallyfe

Oct 30, 2016
    ha..ha.. you are right...it is time to go find another player:oops:

13. usermydigitallyfe

Oct 30, 2016
    Sony products are always beautifully silent and smooth

14. usermydigitallyfe

Oct 30, 2016
    I suppose LG drive will be better than Samsung drive

15. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    It felt as good as sony hifi quality :)
    With your current knackered drive do a read test, create 2 iso's from a single disc, compare file hashes, if they match then keep that drive as a read only backup, it may get you out of the s**t one day ;)

16. usermydigitallyfe

Oct 30, 2016
  17. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Much of a muchness really, one will be Hitachi, the other Toshiba. I had both, not much of a difference to be honest.

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    My first cd burner was LiteON, over 350 dutch guilders, 250 dollar at the time.
    Lens cleaning software? How would that work:thinking:

19. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    seeing as the heads dont touch the discs, i smell snake oil, bit like all those audio cd sprays that enhance the sound. :dunno: :beee:

20. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    #20 PointZero, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022