Lightweigth alternative to Cortana?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Hot Tuna, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Hot Tuna

Hot Tuna MDL Novice

May 15, 2010
    I removed Cortana using the Toggle Tweaker, and can't re-install Windows 10, because it's a Chinese tablet (Chuwi vi10), and restoring the original image is a lot of work.

Cortana was very annoying, and the news feed with the Home icon looks attrocious, and so outdated/dull af.

Is there an alternative to the Search option in Windows? It was pretty handy in Windows 7 to type and find local files/options, and also web links in a simple search box.

2. Hot Tuna

Hot Tuna MDL Novice

May 15, 2010
    Nevermind me, I just found Classic Shell. Didn't think its search function would work. The skins could improve, but it's free I guess =]

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

The search function from Classic Shell works way better than Cortana (and search2 which can be removed safely)

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    a skinny maid, about 4 foot 5 inches and 105 pounds would be a good replacement for Cortana

5. supersonic124

supersonic124 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2014
    You can reinstall Windows 8/10 on a tablet from within it with an ISO. It'll save your drivers too so you won't have to worry about finding/reinstalling them.

I put Enterprise on my Chuwi Hi8 that way.

6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I disagree with your statement. Cortana can make more suggestions based on your search results and link you to the web if they aren't available in your local system.

7. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I have found Cortana to be extremely useful. I can ask for weather data from across the room, have her open apps for me, easily search for information from the internet, etc. I use Chrome, so I have the Chrometana extension installed. With this extension I can choose for her to search with Google, Yahoo!, or Duck Duck Go. Naturally, I chose Google. Cortana is a welcome addition to my computer!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Terepin

Terepin MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Lightweight Cortana? What, original Cortana is too fat for you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    oh yes i especially like how they crippled the start menu to fit the useless c u next tuesday in