Likelihood of a new SLIC from MS to counter our current BIOS Hack attempt?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wasserkool, Aug 8, 2009.

1. wasserkool

wasserkool MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    I already have two machines activated using the bios hack method here. Since the official release date is Oct 22nd, what is the likelihood that between now and Oct 22, M$ and all the OEM implement a new SLIC in the bios to forfeit our efforts here?

I know that sooner or later, the Lenovo key will be banned and getting another one is easy, which includes going to best buy and remember ( cellphone cam) a product key from the display laptops.

2. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
  3. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    it is very unlikely that MS can change SLIC2.1 to something else, pc's with SLIC2.1 are already everywhere, being sold since few months, change BIOS for all of them is not practical...

4. YooBlu

YooBlu MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    M$ can issue a hotfix to detect and deactivate the keys, certs etc.
    Regarding the slic 2.1 they can ask the oem manufacturer to issue a bios update to say slic 2.2 for example.
    But if your machine is already activated then not much they can do about only if you install any updates.

5. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    but the ordinary people who buys a pc to see internet don't even know what windows patches are, to understand bios slic 2.2 patch is for.
    Windows 7's activation method can't change now, only blocking currentl leaked key, the only chance for microsoft might be the next major version (Windows 8?)...

6. justinkb

justinkb MDL Member

Jul 16, 2008
    the likelihood is near 0%

7. motion55

motion55 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Making a new SLIC will probably not keep people from copying them and modifying old BIOSes.

But they can make it much harder to modify new BIOSes on laptops.

However, I don't think the motherboard makers would be willing to go along. It is a risk to go that way because failed BIOS mods could lead to more RMAs.

8. shinigami7th

shinigami7th MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2008
    I lol'd at this.... Reminds me of my frequent trips to Acer service center with my previous laptop (using Lenovo T400 now, way more durable... lol :D )

9. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    They would really need to wait until next windows. Updating all new pc's, is very hard as alot of people are not computer savvy and that would be alot of technical support.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Even if the OEMs submitted new SLICs, it's not going to really effect anyone who currently has a modded bios, as someone pointed out, it wouldnt keep us from just copying the new one. And, like Dell, having more than one SLIC, updating them all would probably piss them off. So really, chances of it happening are near non-existant. Atleast thats my 2c