LimeWire closed down today - for good?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by myhken, Oct 27, 2010.

1. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
  2. back

back MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    the hell, no legal backing for this crap because Limewire does not host any files. Down with the RIAA, they operate under no rules so THEY are the pirates.

3. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    People still use Limewire? o_O All they did was use the source code from Frostwire and made it a paid program. Btw you should try Frostwire free and open source :D

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Sorry for being late to the scene, but how is limewire basic, pro or whatever different from bit torrent or utorrent.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    BitTorrent works by having everyone share. Even if they don't have the full file, they'll share what they do have currently. So this is basically the best way to share files with A LOT of people since everyone is taking the burden of sharing the file. So for example if I download 1/2 a file from a guy who has the full file, then you can come in and download from me. So say you've downloaded 1/4 of the file, some new person can come in and download up to a 1/4 of the file from you.

6. DigitalJammer

DigitalJammer MDL Member

Oct 5, 2010
    I know tons of people still using Limewire. This is bound to force more over to bit torrent. I was always amazed at how long limeWire stayed open. Nevertheless I can not see how using OLD versions of any software for the gnutella network wont work. There is no central disturbutor like Napster had, I see no reasons why older programs can not still work on that network.

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Think the biggest reason why they went after Limewire was because if people wanted to use the "Pro" version they had to pay for it. Most of all the others are open source/free.

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Could be. In fact, in recent months, on installation of bittorrent (use that only), after you open and close (or whatever order), and open again, there is a message like `this is free. if you have paid for it, you have been scammed'. Message on these lines after installation.

By the way, is bit torrent 7.0 any good. I have not been using utorrent because of that bandwidth test. Somehow it slows down my downloads. Bittorrent 7.0 also by default does that (not bittorrent 6.4). That is why I continue to use bittorrent 6.4 and not 7.0

10. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Funny you say that cause uTorrent works better for me then Bit Torrent.

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I don not want to go off topic, but utorrent goes slow for me only because of that default bandwidth test on install. Maybe I am not configuring it properly. I stay in Delhi, India. Bittorrent 6.4 has bandwidth test as optional. I just install and run 6.4. Bit torrent 7.0 runs that test and in one install, I found that it slowed downloads.

12. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Yeah i think a lot depends on your location. But i'm glad Limewire got kicked to the curb. Pathetic they wanted to charge people for a "Pro" version when there are other free and better programs.

I seriously think that if Limewire was not charging people then it would have taken much longer for something like this to come to pass. Either way it's a sad day for the P2P community.

13. flare4000

flare4000 MDL Senior Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Not that sad since limewire wasn't half as good as most p2p programs I know 90% of my friends used it for music:( where they paid for limewire pro lol