Limitations of free OneNote?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Chromace, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Chromace

Chromace MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2015
    Hi forums!

I'm attempting to move away from Microsoft Office, and switch to LibreOffice. However, there's something I need to know before I actually make the switch. Specifically, about OneNote. It's the one application from MS Office that I can't find a proper clone for.

Looking online, there are some news articles which say that the free OneNote requires signing in with a Microsoft account, and is tethered to the cloud, something which does not appeal to me. Is this really true? I mean, I'm probably in a state of hopeful denial at this moment, since it makes sense from a marketing perspective, but still, it'd be a bummer if that were the case...

Anyway, if this could please be answered, I'd be really happy! Thanks! :biggrin:

2. Chromace

Chromace MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2015
    Hi again.

From what extra information I have gathered, if I just want to install OneNote (without the limitations), the best thing for me is to install Office 2013/16 and just customize it to use specific components. While this is a little saddening (it essentially means I'm installing TWO suites on my computer, rather than ONE suite plus another application - semantics I know, but the thought counts), I suppose I'll just have to deal with it.

But I'll get Outlook as well, so hey, it's not all bad. :)