Linux after Linus Torvalds

Discussion in 'Linux' started by GOD666, Dec 3, 2016.

1. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #1 GOD666, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Linus Torvalds is the founder and primary developer of the Linux kernel. He's been working on the Linux kernel since September 1991, which is over 25 years, a quarter of a century with Linus Torvalds at the helm. I am reminded that 5 years ago, Apple founder and CEO, Steve Jobs passes away and when I think of that I notice how much Apple has changed since he passed on. Although Apple is not alone as it has been 8 years, since 2008, when Bill Gates retired from his executive duties at Microsoft. It really does make me wonders what will Linux be like once we lose Linus Torvalds?

2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm no take me wrong but I think that you don't need think so; instead think as Linux is one open source O.S. then all colaborators desire ever make more development, stable distros and constant evolution Linus Torvalds is only icon still Linux O.S. definitely is for me the future in operational systems and FreeBSD too :g:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I think Linux will be forever since even Microsoft is involved in kernel:eek: development..

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Linus is anything but the main developer since ages

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tmf2

tmf2 MDL Junior Member

May 5, 2010
    True.....and also Jobs was nothing more then a marketing front man imo.

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oychhhh...

Attached Files:

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I learned C from Kerningham and Ritchie's "The C programming Language".

I didn't even know. :(

:rip: Dennis Ritchie.

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    But we all heard when the salesman (staff abuser) hit the bucket...:eek:

Tells a story, innit? :g:

9. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Linux includes closed-source programs. Free software foundation uploads Linux-libre , Linux-libre is a fully free alternative to Linux.

10. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Addicted

Jan 7, 2008
    I never liked Linus Torvalds. :poop: 's to give -> 0.

.. and it doesn't matter if open or closed source, don't tell chefy you compile each time all included software + kernel + os yourself. No one does this. Even Torvalds use bot compiled kernel to upgrade. So at the end you never now anyway, especially because it's impossible to audit each new commit in an stable environment.

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Like/dislike is neither here nor there, this is what girlies and boys do...

Do you agree with the principle of giving away a kernel and co-creating an OS OS?