Linux and kids, kids and Linux...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by gorski, Nov 20, 2017.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    All I could think while watching the video was.....That's Windows XP right?

3. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Fixing a windows pc when kids have borked it is one thing, fixing a linux pc when kids have borked it is another.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. You what we need in this forum? A campaign that does Linux justice and helps people make the jump easier.
    I swear, if you would just match the functions from windows to linux, like showing a comparison (dir /b <-> ls -la) people will understand a lot better and would make the jump. They need examples, and lots of them.

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Ocy, I don't understand you, sorry...

There are many different distros and some are for kids but not many are up-to-date, I'm afraid, hence I started this with the latest... and I hope still supported...

6. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Sometimes its better just to reinstall...

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    C'mon experts, any other OS for kids, anything good, please?

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Nah :rolleyes: Old info - and some of those distros are gone by now, as I hinted...

So, we need some newer info from experts... :)

10. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep you are correct I'm not expert ;)

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Neither am I - hence the need for them... :D

12. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    How about Sugar? Fedora based.

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Both links in the top post mention it...

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Am I the only one here who's disappointed that Linux, as a free OS with loads of free educational and scientific SW, has not much to brag about when it comes to education of our children? It's really a downer...

Most of these are old, not very well supported, full of bugs and so on... Echhhh... Linux community, don't you have better things to do than thousands of silly distros for no particular purpose but self-adulation?!?

Can you not do something really worthwhile, something truly noteworthy, please?!?

15. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    As a linux user, I have many disappointments. I use to be excited about using linux but now, I'm just tired of having to configure stuff.

16. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  17. mymslife

mymslife MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2014
    As a Linux user, and Linux user ONLY for work or personal for over 20 years, and some one who definitely has no rugrats, I don't see the point of supporting that area. I am also not interested in lame games either.

The different distros come about because of the difference of opinions on things that should be included, and not included. Hence why *buntu's exist, and not just one *buntu. These are all based off Debian, but the DFSG of Debian, mucks up things like anything that had mp3 ability. You couldn't include that in the compiled options for the DEB as that was against the DFSG which got its panties all in a knot over this stuff. *buntu's included that stuff, since USER'S don't give one hoot about stupid patent and IP troll crap. I don't, and never will. Even something as simple as the DE is reason for a different flavor, ie: KDE, v. all the other crappy DE's. Some DE"s like XFCE, LXDE are good for older hardware that couldn't handle a KDE 4/5 setup. And a new wrinkle is that of distros which will no longer support 32bit! STUPID IDEA! But many if not most of the major distros have or will soon in the next releases DROP 32b support! Some have dropped even 386/486 support, or you have to get a special version not the main stream version. Again another idiotic idea. Linux used to be the GOTO OS for old hardware. Now if you want to use some of that old hardware you have to use an old outdated to do it. :( Perfectly good hardware which may make a nice little test box, DB server or something and it just has to be chucked. Even something as simple as the init system is a major issue in Linux. I am being forced to use software, system(tur)d because all the major distros have switched to it, and the few that didn't are so useless from being non Debian based to any number of other reasons.

I am not sure what you are after, but you can put the little monsters down in front of a PC and if it has Linux to start, they will learn that, and never know there is something else. The concepts of clicky clicky are pretty much the same. The software names change some, but they don't know that yet. So if all they ever know is Linux to start, it won't matter, and they will be AHEAD of the game in the long run.

I pretty much when I cleaned house at work, took the little blue e icon, and put it on the desktop for the old indoctrinated users. They clicked on that, and never knew the difference except for it looked a little different. I told them it was just a newer version, they went about their business. Same with LibreOffice writer, calc... I had to relent and set these to default to saving in those heinous non Linux formats for their setups, but mine and everything else was defaulted to the ODT versions. Install the core fonts that something else uses, and it solves some of the issues with text spacing/formating in those files. Some of that is just plain a certain crappy company being a PITA and changing things to mess with software, but even in their own crappy software that crap shows up.

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    What I mean in this context is "perhaps we should have a lot more emphasis on education and science", i.e. more and way better, up-to-date distros for kiddies and young people, which are not full of bugs, like ZorinOS Education distro, maybe Edubuntu that is up-to-date, easily morphed into a kiddy fun-looking distro, if they can't be bothered to do the right thing, to make themselves really interesting looking to kids, with all manner of additional educational, informative etc. apps - but maybe NOT G**gle cr@p etc.

R2D2, m8: Edubuntu is mentioned everywhere but it is neither looking the part, nor is it up-to-date, plus it's not exactly loaded with... Ach, never mind... Honestly speaking, the FREEWARE OS community should really be more about our kids, education, science, not about escapist gaming and browsing garbage...

19. mymslife

mymslife MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't get what you after.You put the little monsters down in front of a PC, and teach them, click the big K, to get the menu, or click on the (whatever icon) etc.. These concepts are pretty universal since Xerox developed the GUI that X and later are based on....

I don't know when you would start to have them using programs like LibreOffice etc.. that would have to be able to read, spell, and that... maybe need to have rugrats to understand what you after.

I don't see how learning computer basics on Linux v. something else will really matter. The concepts are the same, clicky clicky mostly... Where those who put them down in front of a Linux PC will benefit is that they will have thinkers on their hands versus drones. They can start to learn programming. Matter of fact doesn't the Pi and Raspbian and that have setups for that??? I am not a fan of that whole "Scratch" thing, but as I understand glossing over the articles in various media that is the goal. They seem to be using that at pretty low levels, at least elementary, and even in to secondary. Although I would expect by secondary level they are using an IDE and Python etc., but in something stressing the mechanics over the actual programming that might be better.

Maybe you need to look at the Pi and Raspbian arena for what you are after. I know I would rather have a rugrat using a Pi than my $1K+ 8 core PC, although they could, thanks to TRUE MULTI user on Linux! :) :) but on Linux the chance of mucking things up is lower than on something else. The Pi can be setup, the SD card cloned, put in the safe, They muck it up. Burn a new SD. And go.

Another area a Droid tablet of some sort. For little minds that are not spellers or readers this is probably an even better area...

But again, I am getting the idea that I just don't see the forest for the trees here.

I know of NO distro which is lamer gamer centric... matter of fact games on Linux.. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: That is the biggest contradiction in terms ever!

Most of the division in distros results from:

1) DE difference KDE v. some other crappy DE

2) Binary format ie: Superior DEB v. crappy RPM

3) Access and/or inclussion of things like MP3 capable software (although that won't be an issue going forward), flash, or software that they didn't like the license on, ie: VMware Player.

Of late added to that division:

1) Support of 32b or not

2) init system used, be it the older SystemV/Upstart or the newer sysTURd

Gaming ones??? Never seen one.

The best way if you want games, is to go the whole MAME route, get your emulator, grab the ROMS for PacMan, Centipede, Zaxxon, Donkey Kong and go... you want anything current, well it don't run on Linux! Period. It was either designed for winpuker or the consoles. There may be emulators for the consoles, don't know, don't follow, as I just don't care. And 99.9999% of the lamer gamer crap ain't going run on that WINE BS, coupled with needing the OEM drivers for the video cards, which some Linux users have their panties in a knot over, I don't, first thing I do, install nVidia OEM drivers.

So lamer gamer is pretty much a 0.000000000000001% niche in Linux.

I personally chose one of those $40 Atari Flashback consoles... Plays my centipede, and pacman, I am thrilled. I am looking at getting one of the newer ones with HD 720p and Activision games, Pitfall!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOTTT!!!! :) :) Yeah so its only the VCS2600 versions, for centipede and space invaders, who cares. Pacman definitely sucks, graphics wise. I think I've got it on one of my tablets. I spent a lot of quarters on PacMan and Centipede.

20. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012