Linux distro popularity based on website hits per day

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Antilope, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #1 Antilope, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I am surprised that Debian has overtaken Ubuntu ! Ubuntu has always been next to Mint in popularity. Must be because of its Unity interface ?

3. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    I didn't report the 1 month stats as that may be skewed by a distro with a new / updated release (OpenSUSE a case in point). The 3, 6, and 12 month stats probably show a truer picture of ongoing distro popularity (at least to show what people are viewing, but not necessarily installing).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I also look at that list from time to time and often find the results surprising.

I didn't expect to see Kali and Arch so highly placed and yet Qubes is nowhere to be seen.

There is at least one forum which only allows starting a sub-forum if the distro in question has been
    in the top ten of that Distrowatch list at some time .... it always struck me as a little unfair.

I can sort of see the reasoning , but would it really cause any extra resource use , clutter or admin work ?

Another odd forum rule I have seen is only permitting a new sub-forum if a member of the Dev team is involved.

5. November_Zulu

November_Zulu MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Think I read Linux Mint is Ubuntu, so if you don't want Ubuntu, Debian is next in popularity. And if you do want Ubuntu, Linux Mint is the logical 1st choice.