Linux Gurus which one would you choose?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Hoppyah, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    LXLE or LUBUNTU

Just having a play around with linux currently installed LXLE I like it but would LUBUNTU be a better xhoice?

Andy

2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Lubunu since LXLE is basically another disto made of another distro made off another distro. This is because Debian Linux is the source of which Ubuntu or in this cause, Lubuntu is made off of, but in the case of LXLE you're now depending on Lubuntu which is what LXLE is made off of and you are hoping nothing in between all that development does not go wrong. But if that is not enough argument for you, please consider that Lubuntu is well supported and is an official branch of Ubuntu with all the support backing it. As opposed to LXLE which is an unofficial spin off.

3. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #3 TinMan, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #4 GOD666, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    That is the wonderful thing about Linux -- There is no perfect distro, there is only what is perfect for you. Plus with all the many choices out there you're free to choose any disto of any build that you feel is best for yourself. :)

I find most people like Linux Mint, despite how hackish and buggy it can be at times, because they like the way it looks. With that in mind, it is actually very easy to take Debian (I prefer Debain Sid) and theme it to look exactly like Linux Mint, since Linux Mint is basically made off of Ubuntu which is basically made off of Debian in the first place. Installing either Cinnamon or Mate is also very easy and since Debian Sid usually gets the updates before either Ubuntu or Mint, you end up with the latest version sooner (before Mint does). There was a recent bug in Cinnamon which was driving people crazy and Debain Sid had a fix for it at least a full week before Mint. ;)

But I digress, as it really comes down to personal preference.

5. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Again, I agree with you, 100%

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    In my option: Debian based OS and Manjaro with plasma 5

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    + one :D

8. iota

iota MDL Junior Member

Aug 13, 2014
    i have been using debian and that's going to be my choice for now. usually i use debian unstable (sid) but now i have also two installation which has debian 9 (stretch) with possible backports. it's quite important to mention i like lxde desktop environment but lxqt exists as well. i personally disklike gnome 3. there isn't perfect general purpose distro out there but few points i would say.

linuxmint: good for newbies or intermediate users, i would recommend xfce edition. based on ubuntu lts editions. security is slight minus.
    debian unstable: good for experienced users, almost-rolling distribution. sometimes there is bugs and broken packages.
    manjaro: this is rolling distribution, i need to test this one some day.
    debian stable: stable version which may become outdated certain cases with old packages.
    ubuntu non-lts: quite new stuff with releases. i would recommend lubuntu or xubuntu.
    ubuntu lts: somewhat similar to debian stable but incompatible.

i would recommend to stick with major distributions because of security support and other crucial updates. or based on major distribution. if choosing minor distribution then worst case scenario might be there isn't security updates and that would be bad.

9. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi, @iota!
    Anything you might want to share about security issues in Linux Mint? This distribution is my daily driver (18.2 Cinnamon), so I'd like to know more about this...

10. iota

iota MDL Junior Member

Aug 13, 2014
    @TinMan
    i installed linuxmint xfce 18.1 and updated to 18.2 version in virtualbox. so i hope i remember specifics correctly.

default installation has some ports open for public, i have these at the moment udp 123, udp 631, udp 5353, and mysterious raw port 58 (related to network-manager). some ports are open only for local connections (127.0.0.1 or [::1]).
    flash player is installed by default.
    kernel updates goes to category 5 and therefore not installed by default.

however these can be rectified by following actions:
    enable firewall, firewall is off by default. (one may need to make exceptions for some programs) (generally speaking i would say that if linuxmint is updated this is not a serious issue)
    update flash regularly or uninstall flash, because flash can be updated through linuxmint repositories this is not a big issue. (debian is different story)
    inspect kernel update changelogs and update when needed.

11. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm using Xubuntu 16.04 LTS. I'm quite happy with it. Multi taskbars (Panels) of Xfce should be improved more to fullfil my requirements :D

12. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks,@iota! I guess that I'm fine then, because one of the first things I do after installing my system is turning on and configuring ufw (to allow my torrent client to receive inbound traffic)... Of course, I always update kernel, with the latest version from LM repository, as well as regularly apply all the other updates (both software and security)... I don't use flash player, ever!

13. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
  14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @nodnar: LOL Yup. Never swayed away from Windows 7. ;)

15. TT_ZX

TT_ZX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    When you've finished playing around and want to get serious, choose Gentoo. Period. :p

16. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :laie: Shockingly no one is touching Arch with a long pointy stick !

17. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
  18. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Seriously? I have been posting about the release of the automatic script that installs Arch Linux for you for a while now on MDL. Here was the latest, https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/arch-anywhere-2-2-9-released.75114/

My distro's of choice are Debian (Sid), openSUSE (Tumbleweed), and Arch Linux. ;)

19. UmbraEmsi

UmbraEmsi Emsisoft Community Manager

Sep 26, 2017
    i love Kubuntu, spent hours customizing the interface :p