Linux is already dominant; Android did this for us.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by smallhagrid, Jun 3, 2016.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #1 smallhagrid, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    As such (IMO) mikr0$0ft has not only lost the 'OS wars' - but has already become mostly irrelevant in the tech world.
    Their 'phone OSes' have only helped to drive folks to handheld devices - most of which are Android-based.
    Desktop PC uses are at an all-time low at present and mikr0$0ft has assisted in that gigantic movement.
    (It is the ONE truly GOOD thing that they have ever done.)

The mikr0$0ft gang can make whatever sorts of creepy, bloated, lobotomized zombie OS things they want, and this user's response is as follows:
    So what, big deal - your brainless new junk is of no use to me anymore.

Yes - I am, and will remain a desktop PC user.
    When I want or need win-doze apps I can very easily run a fully tweaked XP under Linux in a VM, and given the incredible stability of the host OS I can have Android running in another VM at the very same time.

There are multiple Android devices right on my desk that help me with things I need to get done every day; my wonderful alarm clock is an Android device that works perfectly with my choice of music; my GPS is also just an Android device - and best of all - I can have cellular services for almost free using - you guessed it - a very nice, cheap, older Android device.

Do you have various things with touchscreens in your home (TV, refrigerator, stove, etc...) ??
    Do you have a branded GPS unit ??
    Does your nice, new car have a touchscreen panel in its dashboard ??
    These are ALL Android devices about 99% of the time now.

When the sheer number of internet (and other) servers are tallied up with the amazing millions and millions (billions by now ?!?) of other things running under Android there is simply nothing that comes even close to being so widespread.

Linux has very quietly become the dominant force in tech gear on this planet at this time.
    It -IS- very much all around us in our present - AND:
    Unless something can somehow displace it...
    Linux -IS- our future.

This is what I see all around me and the way that I see things as going.

Most likely there will be a surge of mikr0$0ft, anti-Linux & faux-apple fanbois who will disagree violently with the above thoughts - but that is expected - and my blanket reply to such uselessly violent thinking is this:

Such opinions are already irrelevant;
    Resistance has also been irrelevant;
    You are ALREADY assimilated.

We are Android; child of Linux.
    Open your eyes, look around you=>
    We are already EVERYWHERE.

2. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, Android is everywhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. +X^N

+X^N MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2014
    Also , I understand , it is in 'every' cable box , if you have a DVR .

4. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Linux is everywhere, cable box, tv, remote control etc.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why do linux users always compare msft to linux or other os's in discussions? Windows users couldn't care less (linux exists and sometimes we (I) install it, check it out and go on).

I hardly ever saw a Windows user trolling the linux board but a whole lot of so-called/selfclaimed Linux lovers are overthere in the windows part of MDL ;)

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    They believe if they say it enough, it will become true, when really they know deep down this will never be the case

Linux has it's uses, as does a bus, but it will never be the chosen mode of transport when cars exist

7. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    I really prefer busses and trains, I hate driving with cars. ;)

Think different... ummm... well, no... use whatever OS you like. :clap:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Linux is also the basis of the Chrome OS that runs Chromebooks. You can easily install a dual boot Chromebook/Ubuntu system on a Chromebook/Chromebox with a choice of different desktop environments including KDE Plasma, Unity and Xfce.

9. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Despite whatever anyone may say:
    This topic's title is correct, despite whatever objections may be made.

What I posted originally remains correct, factually:

10. Dngrsone

Dngrsone MDL Novice

May 25, 2016
    Fanatics will be fanatical.

I am a Linux user. At least 90% of my personal computer time is on Mint KDE. With that said, I have need of Windows 10 about once a week, and of course I must use various flavors of Win at work.

Linux is not for everybody. The OS, just like any other piece of software, is a tool; and I like to use to proper tool for the job, if it is available to me.

Personally, it annoys me when people mangle the spelling of Microsoft or Windows; as much as the hard-leaning people make derogatory names for political figures: it accomplishes little (except building up anger on either side of an issue) and convinces no one.

William Henry Gates III is often vilified for the way he built and ran his company, but the plain fact of the matter is that he and Microsoft have created entire industries over the past four decades; and if he were even half as evil as some people would like to make him out to be, then he'd own and be directing a political party much like the Koch brothers instead of running a multi-million dollar worldwide charity.

11. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    I am in no way a fanatic, and use many different OSes as well:
    I also agree - Linux is not for everybody; and I add to that:
    Most ordinary PC users have very basic, common needs which are easily met no matter which relatively modern OS happens to be the foundation for their needed apps.

As to the rest - it tickles me to no end that something which is usually considered to be so very odd & foreign as Linux is in the hands of so many every day now - and that they are barely (if at all) aware of it.
    It just very quietly got to be that way, and it is all around us now - and to me, that is VERY cool.