Linux is better than Windows 10.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by revoix, Jun 22, 2015.

  1. revoix

    revoix MDL Novice

    Jun 3, 2015
    5
    0
    0
    Fact. Truth. 2Hashtag Swag.
     
  2. Soulfate

    Soulfate MDL Member

    Feb 14, 2011
    185
    49
    10
    And you want to get Windows 10 FOR LIFE too ?
     
  3. monkeylove

    monkeylove MDL Junior Member

    Dec 8, 2013
    76
    14
    0
    One can probably have both using multi-boot and virtual machines.
     
  4. EFA11

    EFA11 Avatar Guru

    Oct 7, 2010
    8,730
    6,667
    270
    in before the bin:trollface::violin:
     
  5. Superfly

    Superfly MDL Expert

    Jan 12, 2010
    1,133
    542
    60
    Linux is too broad a term to compare with Win10, but I get where you are coming from...;)

    Some distro's offer more than others but overall for sheer efficiency there is no doubt - especially for those who do not care too much for extended graphics - also with the .Net port to Linux, we should see a lot more apps delivered - Mono just never cut the mustard.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jayblok

    jayblok MDL Guru

    Dec 26, 2010
    3,142
    2,460
    120
    Nahh,not really :p
     
  7. R29k

    R29k MDL GLaDOS

    Feb 13, 2011
    4,675
    4,276
    150
    Free Windows Forever (SlimRock) even if it is crap :clap:
     
  8. Michaela Joy

    Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

    Jul 26, 2012
    3,620
    3,914
    120
    #8 Michaela Joy, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. salvadorp2001

    salvadorp2001 MDL Novice

    Jun 25, 2015
    8
    0
    0
    No s**t sherlock
     
  10. prmcmanus

    prmcmanus MDL Novice

    Sep 27, 2014
    4
    0
    0
    This is the kinda post that would normally be a poll on Google+.
    I've enjoyed Linux for years, but I'm finding less reasons to be annoyed with Windows. Windows 10 certainly seems to be running fine for me.

    It's all about personal preference :)
     
  11. +X^N

    +X^N MDL Novice

    Mar 2, 2014
    27
    5
    0
    Also , no OS spying on you --
    except Ubuntu ; (
     
  12. kenrong

    kenrong MDL Novice

    Apr 10, 2015
    5
    0
    0
    I think, in PC market, Windows 10 better than Linux. But in server market, Linux better than windows server 2012.
     
  13. melkor42x

    melkor42x MDL Novice

    Jul 24, 2009
    8
    1
    0
    They are both good, but if you care about gaming, then Windows is going to be better.
     
  14. wonderwear

    wonderwear MDL Novice

    Jul 31, 2015
    4
    0
    0
    Agreed. Windows has made it this far mainly because it's more mainstream for games. Though I enjoy Linux, the wide variety of distros available can make it harder for developers to create content to the same standards within the amount of time they are given to create content.
     
  15. Michaela Joy

    Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

    Jul 26, 2012
    3,620
    3,914
    120
    Here's a list of reasons why Windows beats Linux hands down.

    1 ) Most users are -NOT- power users, nor do they want to be. Windows caters to that market. To do sophisticated things in Windows, you have to dig in and go "under the hood".But Windows offers the average user everything that they need without having to resort to high tech.

    2 ) Windows is Windows. There is only one or two Windows "Distros" to choose from. There's not dozens of arrogant weenies screaming about how their "distro" is better than everyone else. A unified front means easy tech support for the masses. And easy tech support means happy customers. Try going to a Linux support forum and mentioning the wrong application. They'll bite your head off. When you're paid to do support, you tend to mind your tongue, or you'll find yourself out of a job.

    3 ) In Windows it's easier to write and support applications. You don't have to deal with dozens of #ifdef'ed sections of code which have to be enabled in order to make the source code compile under your "distro"
    That's a support / development nightmare. And that compartmentalizes your code, making it more difficult to maintain and upgrade. This is the reason why you find much more commercial support for Windows, and the reason why people pay for software.

    4 ) Personally, I don't like Apple, but what they have done is release their own "distro". They support it, and commercial developers support it because people will pay for the support.

    As far as Linux being on servers, that community is comprised mainly of power users. It needs to be, simply because of the security issues involved with running a server / network.

    But that's not the average user.

    The moral of this story: Before you say "Linux is better than Windows", ask yourself who is using it.
    And who is paying for it. :)

    :MJ
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Skaendo

    Skaendo MDL Addicted

    Sep 23, 2014
    888
    524
    30
    #16 Skaendo, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Ok MJ, just for the sake of a discussion,

    Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin.

    Technically speaking, there are very few actual Linux distros. Debian, Slackware and RedHat. Everything else is a fork or derivative of one of those except for LFS and a few independent distros.

    But if we are looking at "distros" in general, Windows 10 has:

    Enterprise
    Enterprise N
    Enterprise 2015 LTSB
    Enterprise 2015 LTSB N
    Features on Demand
    Pro
    Pro N
    Home
    Home N
    Education
    Education N
    IoT Core for Raspberry Pi 2
    Iot Core for MinnowBoard Max
    Single Language
    Probably more that I have forgotten.

    And all in both x86 and x64 variants. That's at least 28. Then there are the servers, HPCs, embedded (do they still have that?), etc. And then there are all the previous versions of Windows and the variants that they have.

    No opinion since both distros that I have used as a main OS both have packages that are already written, compiled and maintained that the "everyday user" would need.

    No opinion on Apple since I don't use anything Apple. I did have OS X ML running in a VM at one time but wasn't really impressed.

    Agreed, so you admit that there are great and many security issues with Windows. That would be a deal breaker for me if I used Windows as my main OS.

    Linux is better than Windows. If it wasn't then why does MS steal everything that was created by Linux/Mac? MS has never had an original idea. Never. EVERYTHING was stolen ideas from Linux and Mac. Right back to Windows 1.0 where Bill was licensed to use the MAC UI and has stolen it ever since.

    The only thing that Microsoft does better than Linux and Apple is marketing. (and spying) (and virus') (and crashing)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Michaela Joy

    Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

    Jul 26, 2012
    3,620
    3,914
    120
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Skaendo

    Skaendo MDL Addicted

    Sep 23, 2014
    888
    524
    30
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Michaela Joy

    Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

    Jul 26, 2012
    3,620
    3,914
    120
    There's a reason why Apple lost. Windows was -NOT- built with -ANYTHING- apple.
    Perhaps concepts were shared, but each of the respective OSes had different Microprocessors (Apple = 68000,IBM = 8088)

    Apple went after Microsoft in part because MS used Pascal calling conventions in their OS construction. Apple did too. And MS -STILL- uses Pascal calling conventions today.

    And we're not even talking about Linux. Back in those days, Linux didn't even exist, and Apple's hardware and OS was 68000 based. I know this because I wrote code for the MAC 1 back in those days.

    So what does that even have to do with the OPs' original post?

    The bottom line is that the people -always- are the indicator. Who has the most market share in desktop computers? MS.

    Only recently since Apple decided to adopt a Berkeley UNIX core (Mach kernel) did Apple even matter enough to consider them a threat to the Windows Market.
    And even with a UNIX based OS, Apple will -never- achieve desktop supremacy with their boutique, overpriced hardware.

    Phones?, Tablets? perhaps. But their desktops are way too overpriced and too bland performance wise to even stand a chance against Windows.

    :MJ
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Skaendo

    Skaendo MDL Addicted

    Sep 23, 2014
    888
    524
    30
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...