Linux Mint 18.3 “Sylvia” Cinnamon – BETA Release

Discussion in 'Linux' started by TinMan, Nov 17, 2017.

1. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #2 John Sutherland, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Hello @TinMan - Thanks for the heads-up. I read the release notes and see that like LM 18.2, LM18.3 is also based on Ubuntu 16.04.3 Xenial Xerus. I recently visited the Ubuntu downloads page and found that 17.04 was the last version of Ubuntu to offer both 32 bit and 64 bit versions for desktop users, and starting with 17.10, there are only 64 bit .iso's available for desktop users. Makes me wonder if Linux Mint 19 will follow the same path, or possibly head off in a different direction.

The reason I say this is in the October blog, Clem mentioned that Linux Mint Debian Edition 3 (LMDE 3) should be appearing sometime in the first quarter of 2019. He went on to explain that even though LMDE takes a back seat to Linux Mint in popularity, the LM team has been willing to put in the extra time and effort to develop and maintain LMDE in alongside Linux Mint. Why? Just in case Ubuntu goes out of business, or goes off in a dramatically different direction, then LMDE is always available to take over as the basis for future versions of Linux Mint.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...