Linux Mint display driver

Discussion in 'Linux' started by antiCMOS, Oct 3, 2020.

1. antiCMOS

antiCMOS MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2020
    Linux Mint v20.0 displays a blank screen if I don t have monitor turned on before I boot up computer. The Dell logo appears, then blank screen. (I use a 60" tv as a monitor). I can still enter decryption password, and then the normal login screen appears. If I have tv on before I boot up it works as it should. Has anyone ran into this? I m not sure if this is a problem with my configuration, or just a bug/limitation of Mint.

2. jim_p

jim_p MDL Member

Dec 11, 2013
    What gpu are you on? If it is an nvidia, do you use the nvidia driver or the one that every distro comes with (nouveau)?
    Also, is this the only monitor connected to the gpu?

3. antiCMOS

antiCMOS MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2020
    No Nvidia. TV is only monitor. TV is an LG OLED 4k@65". I m using a display port, (computer), to HDMI, (TV), cable.

This is my current video info;

~$lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
    Subsystem: Dell HD Graphics 530
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915

~$glxinfo | grep -i "vendor\|rendering"
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel

4. jim_p

jim_p MDL Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Maybe the framebuffer (= the "screen" with the logo before the login prompt appears) is not capable of 4k or it gets the tv's refresh rate out of range.
    If you connect it on a regular monitor, do you see the prompt to enter the decryption password?

5. antiCMOS

antiCMOS MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2020
    #5 antiCMOS, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    (OP)
    My comp is a Dell 7040 Optiplex and the display ports are only capable of 1080p output, so I can t get 4k through the computer. I m not sure what resolution it is at the decryption password screen. I have an vga monitor but no cable, so I can t try that atm. I checked LG website for specs for tv;

PICTURE(PROCESSING)
      • Picture Processor
      • α9 Gen 3 AI Processor 4K
      • Refresh Rate
      • 120Hz
      • HDR (High Dynamic Range)
      • Cinema HDR (Dolby Vision®, HDR10, HLG), Dolby Vision IQ, HDR Dynamic Tone Mapping Pro
      • Contrast
      • Advanced Contrast Enhancer, Face Enhancing, Ultra Luminance Pro
      • Clarity
      • Quad Step Noise Reduction, Frequency Based Sharpness Enhancer
      • Color
      • Intense Color, Billion Rich Colors, Advanced Color Enhancer, True Color Accuracy Pro
      • Motion
      • OLED Motion Pro
      • Resolution Upscaler
      • AI Upscaling
    The comp is five/six years old, and tv is less than a year old. I guess I should be gratefull that they work together at all, but the gaming mode part of the tv specs got me wondering, because refresh rate is different. In gaming mode the refresh rate is variable. I will try to leave in it in gaming mode, and see if that changes anything

GAMING
      • G-SYNC Compatible
      • Yes
      • FreeSync™
      • Yes
      • VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)
      • Yes
      • ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)
      • Yes
      • Response Time
      • >1 ms
      • HGiG
      • Yes

6. mdl052020

mdl052020 MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2020
    Installed LinuxMInt Ulyana 20 XFCE today on very old system with 2+2=4gb SoDimm RAM & 320gb HDD P4 3.0 Processor on G41 Motherboard.
    Everything Working Fine Here without any issue. PCI USB3 Card Speed is also resolved in LinuxMint 20.

7. antiCMOS

antiCMOS MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2020
    I concure that Mint is a solid OS. My delema is to get it working with my 4k tv.

8. mdl052020

mdl052020 MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2020
    Sorry i cant test it on 4k HD Display as i have only 19" Dell Monitor.

9. antiCMOS

antiCMOS MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2020
    Like you mentioned; I believe it was the refresh rate that was causing problem. I changed the tv settings to game mode which changes it to a variable refresh rate, and I now get the decryption password screen. I tried it multiple times, and they all worked, so I have to give you props. Thanks a bundle!

10. jim_p

jim_p MDL Member

Dec 11, 2013
    You are welcome :)