LINUX/UNIX vs WINDOWS...Wich one is better for you?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by free1975yuly, Mar 12, 2014.

1. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I tested many Windows version and architectures..I was very satisfiyed with Windows 7 but now I had get rid of Windows 8..I tried few Linux distro's in few days and now I am thankfull to Debian..
    I think now Linux is supperior because more its support(Specially Ubuntu) more speed,and highly desktop customization possibilities.
    I invite you all to write here all to write that you think about these OS.

2. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    #2 Ming_the_Merciless, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    Loaded question. May as well ask: "Which religion is better for you?"

3. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Perhaps the best is: living in caves!

4. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I use both Win 7 and OpenSuse on my desktop. Can't replace either one.

5. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I used OpenSuse and have the disk too...:eek:

6. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Posting in a heavily dominated Windows forum should already give you a sense of how things will go. Results will be different in a Linux forum and, for shame, you don't even acknowledge OS X.

Windows 8.1 for me. Windows 7 was fine too. I also love Ubuntu 13.04 for "being there", in case M$ collapses into a black hole.

You state you "had to get rid of Windows 8.1". Why? Was someone holding a gun to your head? (If there was, it's most likely it was ian82).

7. Knives*

Knives* MDL Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Nothing is necessarily "better" for me. Everything depends on what I do.

Windows 7:
    For sending out documents, I use Windows 7 and Office 2010 since both are mature, stable and used widely in the world. Beyond that, there is nothing for me that I find particularly useful about Windows 7 that I can't do in Ubuntu 12.04.

Ubuntu 12.04:
    Highly customizable, I can do almost everything I want here. The way Firefox functions with mouse clicks to select and highlight text is different and more logical, so therefore better in my view. Backing up files is 2.5x faster (25MB/s vs. 10MB/s in Windows). The kernel is more up-to-date than what Microsoft can produce for Windows. Updates are more frequent (not monthly), quicker when checking for updates, and installations never give any problems. It restarts much faster than Windows, too. The only downside is some programs are outdated vs. the Windows versions for the sake of stability and to not break anything in the OS. Being conservative is good, but I prefer having the latest of everything. It took a while getting used to Ubuntu with the ugly pale purple and orange colours, but I'm over it. Now I'm loving Ubuntu and look forward to 14.04 next month.

8. chrisavann

chrisavann MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2010
    Which is better for me, Windows. I'm familiar with windows. I'm running a media/SFTP server. And because I've been using windows for years, it's just easier for me to accomplish this.

On a side note, I'm attempting to learn Linux. FOR EVERYDAY COMPUTING LINUX IS GREAT, but once I start trying to complete the above, I run into problems because of my lack of knowledge/familiarity with Linux.

9. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    They are blacklisted my retail Windows 8 key,maybe get rid is not a good word...:p The word is:I get bored with Windows.And I tried OS X too cuz here is a early MacBookPro from early 2011 who is mine and run very well OS X 10.9.2
    Who knows how the future will be? Maybe Windows....,maybe OS X...perhaps LinuxUnix or Android?? Only time will give us an answer..

10. goro14

goro14 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2014
    I'd say that BSD is 'better' than Penguin...:beee:

11. akbrian

akbrian MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2014
    Myself, I had originally intended on dual booting Windows 8.1 and Linux, but the HP BIOS in "secure boot" mode made it a real hassle, even with the Ubuntu or OpenSuse that natively support "secure boot". In the end, I dumped Window 8.1 (which I hated anyway), put the BIOS in compatibility mode and installed by usual distro, Mageia.

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    could have just disabled secure boot, rebooted and windows 8.1 would continue to work. I've had to do that with several HP.

13. akbrian

akbrian MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2014
    I could never get it to boot directly to grub for very long, after a while it would start booting directly to Windows no matter how I tried to set the priority. I could dual boot by going into BIOS and manually choosing the boot into grub, but the descriptions were not editable and it remembered, and listed, every OS I'd ever tried live on a USB stick. In short a confusing pain. Windows really didn't seem to do anything better than Linux and was an ergonomic nightmare.

It's my hardware. I bought it. I really dislike that HP, Intel (even though it's a AMD laptop), and MS are trying so hard to prevent the user from choosing to use other than MS products (despite what they claim)

14. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I agree there, your best move was dropping windows entirely as long as there was no need for it. It does make you wonder what they are all so fearful of. I mean, linux is less than apple on the shares right? Seriously, if people gave linux as much time as win8.x there would be a new adoption rate to nix in the shares.

I guess what bothers me the most about nix advancements in the past ten years, is almost nil compared to windows. That is a huge block in the road and the second is attitude from nix users and devs that needs to change as well. Everyone needs to start thinking Mainstream-mainstream-mainstream (stolen from developers-developers-developers lol).

15. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    debootstrap..... damn i dont have the install disks also!
    lucky guy!
    thanks!
    -paul

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For Desktop work: Windows!
    For Server: Debian all timers latest version!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    Windows as primary and Linux in Vmware

18. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    #18 nodnar, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015

blue screen of death to protect my computer, system halted, unquote, is much worse than linux... ;) i have a feeling that i will see this thread closed soon by alpha, because the esteemed members will start to call each other names, if i had a mind to troll a little, i could not have come up with a better thread.. but before that moment in time, let me try to answer òbjectively`... i used windows from before 3.0. 3.0 was a pain. 3.11 was nice. i still use cardfile, i found a 64 bit one in nt that works on my i5 machine.. w 95 was perfect, dos and a sys command to boot with no trouble.. i hated xp.. no sys command, headaches with cd `s. but worse was to follow; vista.. driver misery..around ad.2000 i tried linux, out of curiosity. don ask what distro.. it booted.. from cd.. just once.. conclusion; rubbish.. auf nimmerwiedersehen... but progress cannot be halted.. w7 came along.. i even paid for it. w8, then w 10. windose now behaves like a virus.. even though i paid for it, i decided to look for alternatives. i have a zero tolerance for crooks, and m$ behave like crooks, imo. so i found linux mint very stable.. no crashes.in the www it is fast, and works like a dream.
    i have unplugged my w7 machine, i do not care to reinventing the wheel in linux software. to be safe from m$. and i do not have to bother with umpteem kb s.. so yes. linux it very much better.. it gives you a headache, there are no driveletters, and you have to type mkdir or something instead of simply md,and that is idiotic,just as the umpteen distros.. some of which cannot be trusted.. ubuntu has a company behind it, so it phones home, cheerfully, if you let it..and now i am waiting patiently like cat for alpha to close the thread...:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #19 Michaela Joy, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    To me, it's about being pragmatic. For certain programs, it just makes no sense for me to run a Linux distro. Cubase 7, NI Komplete 9, Arturia. Although they're available for MAC, but they won't run in Linux proper. And I'm not spending close to $2000 USD to re-buy them for another OS.

So, my recording studio machine will stay Windows 7. My other machine, however, will run a dual boot scenario with Windows 7 and Linux Mint.That's the best of both worlds for me. I write my music on the big machine, and I tinker on the other machine.

It all comes down to what makes you happy.

20. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I use Windows 7 SP1 at work and Windows 7 SP1/Linux Mint 17.2 KDE at home. If Webteh would develop BSPlayer Pro for linux, I'd give up Windows for good.
    P.S. Don't tell me about VLC 'cause it sux when it comes to fetching online subtitles.

P.S2 I drive a Mercedes G500, but I own a BMW 740 and I have a Jaguar Sovereign in my garage...which one is better? :laie:
    The Mercedes is the going-on-vacation car, the BMW 740 is the going-to-shopping car and the Jag is the going-to-church car (my girlfriend told me that we have to socialize, whatever that is...).
    I think I solved the biggest issue in my life, but my girlfriend still wants Prada. I told her I don't know how to drive a Prada and I've heard that "the Devil wears Prada", so I'm kinda scared here... :laie: