List of Tablets for Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by c-dan, Mar 29, 2012.

1. c-dan

c-dan MDL Member

Apr 22, 2011
    #1 c-dan, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I tried it on a old Fujitsu stylistic ST5032D and it runs just fine, the only thing I dont like is the on screen keyboard does not appear automatically on the desktop like it did on Windows 7, you need to click (with the stylus pen) on the actual keyboard icon next to the OS clock; but I think this is by design since the new OS is targeted for a touch screen now...
    btw, the big on screen keyboard is ugly! comparing it to the nice/slick from Windows 7...

3. tomashoch

tomashoch MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2011
    Acer has sent me a W500 'cause i'm a reviewer for a Dutch website. Many video's of the W500 with Windows 8 DP are on my YouTube channel (youtube.com/user/OfficialBEPTV/videos?query=w500) and for the Dutch people (or Google Translate fans :p) a text review (bouweenpc.nl/artikelen/windows-8-op-een-acer-iconia-tab-w500-tablet).

Windows 8 was working fast on this tablet. The graphics were great due to the integrated chip of AMD. 'Cause you can enter the BIOS with a combination of keys, the install of WDP was very easy. If Acer release a version of the tablet with a better resolution, it will be on my list of favorite tablets for W8.

Unfortunately, i can't test the W500 with the CP because i had to send the tablet back to Acer. My experiences with the DP are good, but not excellent. I hope there will be more W8 optimised tablets on the market when W8 will be released.

4. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Pikey

Pikey MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I was seriously considering grabbing one of those Acers the other day .. (it was going for £250 + £7 p&p ..!!) .. but someone beat me to it!!

I still might get one ...

6. malwareRAPESus

malwareRAPESus MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2012
    THIS is a tablet:
    wacom.com/cintiq

these are NOT:
    usa.asus.com/Eee
    apple.com/ipad

:sigh:

7. Pikey

Pikey MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Semantics ... the word 'tablet' will do nicely for all those devices I think!

Anyhow , I managed to buy another Acer Iconia W500 ... £250 and only about 2 months old! Should get it either tomorrow or day after!!

8. c-dan

c-dan MDL Member

Apr 22, 2011
    wow, really? can you post a video or anything? Pretty old and no ssd/dual core processors/ good graphics in that one and still runs metro fine? would love to see some screenshots/videos.

9. c-dan

c-dan MDL Member

Apr 22, 2011
    #9 c-dan, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
    (OP)
    that's a great deal, you shouldve taken it then and there. It's about GBP 400 here. :( And hardly anyone has it. If I get it for 260 GBP, I'll buy it tomorrow)

edit: Read your other reply :D Nice... Post a review or vids/pics here when you can

10. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Sorry, no pictures or video - I went back to Windows 7 after a few days... the only big issues on this tablet was mainly the keyboard and Metro UI (that I dont like basically) - what a bad experience, I really missed the on screen keyboard able to show anytime as I touch the screen with the stylus pen.

It worked surprisingly well and it did not even looked slow - I think as fast as Win7!! which btw, I just love in the tablet.

Windows 8 gave its own graphic drivers (for the intel 915 chipset) and I got Aero on it!! wow! I was surprised on that one even though under Devices I had a question mark under the graphics card... I could not load the 'correct' drivers per say from Fujitsu site but Aero was running and it looked amazing - Windows 7 does not have aero but looks good too so I am not sure what the deal is with the video drivers...
    Definitely I will give it another try on the next release (beta?) and see if MS fixed the terrible On-screen keyboard some more and (maybe) a way to disable Metro UI 'permanently' - I just think Metro UI it looks tacky and ugly - lego like as someone already mentioned (I think it is the perfect description for it), definitely a step back for such a great OS (performance wise I mean)..

cheers!