Literally tried everything...is my mobo dead?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by compl3x, Jan 3, 2014.

1. compl3x

compl3x MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2013
    Hey, 2/3 years ago exactly (I think 3, but whatever) I purchased a pre-built PC. Some things I've had to replace, such as the PSU and the memory sticks, so the current setup is:

• AMD Phenom X4 955 (3.2GHz, never overclocked)
    • ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 mobo
    • 4GB Kingston 1600MHz RAM (1x4G, tried another one of these and neither consistently POST)
    • OCZ OCZ-ZS550W-UK 550W
    • AMD/ATI HD5770 (1GB)
    • Western Digital Hard Drive
    In November, my Kingston 1333MHz RAM broke, like the 2x2gb sticks I originally got with the build, and so I've been using a friend's memory (which IS on the QVL). My sister bought me my current ram, a 1600MHz Kingston one (the "Kit of X" ones of these are on QVL). On the 27th, just two days later, I started experiencing problems.
    At first, freezes without BSOD. The most I managed to get out of it since is seven hours, during which I just left it on the desktop with nothing running. Lately, the BSODs of the friend's ram-era are back again, latest being:

• IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    • MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (0x1A)
    This is extremely annoying, as it is hindering my ability to finish college work. So far I've tried:

• Testing friend's RAM and my RAM solo
    • Testing friend's RAM and my RAM together
    • Testing friend's RAM in all four slots
    • Testing my RAM in all four slots
    • Checked all connectors are in properly
    • Underclocking the RAM to 1333MHz (if for some reason my CPU doesn't get on with it)
    • Restoring default BIOS settings.
    Since the first 2x2GB sticks, the CPU has been replaced (replacing the old 400W one with the 550W OCZ one at current). At current, I get a blinking red light (the MemOK! one) with no beeps from the motherboard.
    I don't imagine the PSU has conked out so quickly, nor do I believe the RAM could have - Is it a case of my MOBO giving up the ghost?
    Thank you.

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #2 tonto11, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    Done any gaming with it? or anything that would heat up the cpu AMD cpu's are imo sensitive to overheating
    use big heat sinks and lots of thermal paste

You didn't mention pulling and reseating the CPU. those pins can get dirty also.
    Not sure if the bios chip is plug in but if it is a wiggle and reset might help.

The motherboard at 45 pounds on ebay is about the same cost as 4gb of memory
    so I wouldn't suffer it too long

I've only had one cpu really fail, it was an AMD on an HP dv7 notebook

...T

3. compl3x

compl3x MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2013
    I haven't tried reseating the CPU, I'll try it tomorrow. Not sure if it's worth just getting it RMAd due to the amount of ram sticks it has burned - Is there any way to confirm my ram bays are in some way acting up?

4. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Looks like a power issue. And "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" usually means unstable CPU.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. goldfinger

goldfinger MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Get your important school work done at the computer lab so you don't waste too much time diagnosing the problem.

Have you run Memtest86+ to see if you can RAM errors? This can sometimes help diagnose a bad motherboard if you are 100% sure the RAM is good. Another test would be a different video card.

But I looked up your motherboard and found that there are lots of people that have the same problem as you. Apparently it is a POS board. If you get a new board, don't get an Asus. Asus CS and warranty is terrible.

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    yeah likely it is mobo issue. try messing with voltage on ram.. but i doubt it will fix.
    friend had similar issue on similar board and was his win7 x64 infected/WAT hacked iso and his crappy nvidia 7800gt and x64 didnt get along

7. compl3x

compl3x MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2013
    Thing is, I imagine that the ram IS now faulty BECAUSE of the motherboard.

8. goldfinger

goldfinger MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2010
    So you're sure your friend's RAM is burned out and his computer is acting up/fails Memtest86? Or just your old RAM and the new Kingstons?

LatinMcG mentioned RAM voltage. It's possible that the RAM isn't getting enough voltage now. Try upping it a bit. Also check your board for bad (bulging/leaked) capacitors.

Also, you said that you had the RAM at 1600Mhz.. The IMC on your processor officially only supports 1333Mhz. Anything higher is over clocking it. Maybe the IMC on the processor is going bad. But my money is still on the motherboard.

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    XMP memory profile likely need enabling

10. compl3x

compl3x MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2013
    I know what his memory worked fine for a while but suddenly, like many sticks before it, broke. I have unclocked the RAM to 1333MHz as I thought that could solve it, but no luck.

11. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I think I have to concur that the motherboard is bad. As for the well intentioned suggestion that you complete your schoolwork on another computer and put the issue aside for now, it's a good one, but it would never work for me. If my desktop is acting up, I just want everyone/everything to leave me the hell alone until I get it fixed!