Loading custom graphic driver in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MrEgo, May 26, 2013.

1. MrEgo

MrEgo MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2013
    Hello all,
    I wonder if it is possible to use own video driver instead of the default one.
    There is a solution for sound in safe mode here on forums (not allowed to post links yet, so search for "safe mode sound") It is basically about adding CLSIDs of services and driver classes to SafeBoot configuration, e.g. to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal

I found a way to add there some services but fail to do so with loading other graphic driver than vga.sys or vgasave.sys. The only thing I haven't tried is to replace vga.sys with intel sys file.

I have NVidia GT 555M with optimus. It would be sufficient just to have intel graphic driver loaded in safe mode.

If you wonder, why do I want to do this... The PC should be used for work with audio and I would like to have as little services runnign as possible. It would allow to minimize MIDI jitter (a thing that is especially visible when using Ableton Live and PC as clock master to my keyboard workstation). There are guides to disable unnecessary Windows sevrices (such as BlackViper's manual), but this seems to be time consuming, a faster way seems to add services I want to the basic one's. I could also use Windows Starter edition if only it was also 64 bit.