Locales - Windows 8.1 Clean Install. (Windows Store en-GB key).

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by unrandomsam, Oct 13, 2013.

1. unrandomsam

unrandomsam MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2010
    Can anybody tell me the easiest way to install with my legit key Windows 8.1 with the en-US system locale. (So RSAT install in a sensible way). Will my key just work with the Retail en-US image ?

(I want to do a clean install and I had loads of hassle getting it done last time. The official Microsoft way seems to involve DISM is that absolutely necessary or not. If it is can anybody tell me what I can do to just make it set in the same way as Windows Server is. I hate the language bar popping up incorrectly all the time it really annoys me).

Image that I can download = en-GB
    What I want is en-US but so I can select United Kingdom keyboard layout etc like Server does.

If I must pre set it using DISM then I need to know all the settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Your key will work just fine with en-us retail version. I know it from experience.

In short: install Windows 8.1 en-us with its default retail key. After installation, insert your key with "slmgr /ipk <key>"

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #3 Flipp3r, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. unrandomsam

unrandomsam MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2010
    Just so I am 100% clear. My current key is a normal Windows 8 key. There is no more hoops to jump through other than just what you have said. Thanks.