Locked Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by conrailguy, Aug 22, 2011.

1. conrailguy

conrailguy MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Hello all,
    This is my first post here,and I just wanted to pick someones brain,who is alot more knowledgeable than me.
    I had an old Directv DVR that I pulled the HD from(320 gbs) and was hoping to use in my computer,Long story short-
    windows 7 won't recognize the drive under disk management,so I am guessing its somehow locked.I can't even hear it spin up?I know the drive was fully functional in the DVR,I'm at a loss on what todo next.Any helb would be deeply appreciated.

2. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    I am not familiar with the DVR, but my guess is that it uses a different file system. Meaning that you need to format the HDD i.e. using NTFS in order to be able to use it under Windows...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. conrailguy

conrailguy MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Its not recognized in bios,its a WD-320 gb hard drive,the DVR I removed it from was only 2 years old.
    I dont know how I can do anything to it if its not seen by windows,any ideas?
    Thanks for trying to help me out.

4. craig6928

craig6928 MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2011
    Dvr unit normal work of linux type os system

i would try and download a bootable linux disk and see if the drive is picked up then.

you should really see it in the bios of your machine
    that should not really matter if the drive is locked etc