Lockscreen prevents monitor sleep

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by thla, Oct 6, 2012.

1. thla

thla MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2011
    For the last few weeks i've noticed that my monitor never sleeps, after a spending a lot of time trying to diagnose it i found out that my monitor would sleep if i set it quick enough (because that would be before the lockscreen initiates), but as soon as the lockscreen initiates my monitor turns back on.

Is there any easy way to troubleshoot the issue? I did try powercfg /requests but it didn't turn up anything useful (can't recall it anymore, but i kinda forgot it since i found out that the issue itself wasn't related to it)

2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Maybe it's related to your particular graphics card or monitor? My Asus LCD sleeps hooked up to an ATI Radeon HD 4850. What brands and models of hardware are you running?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. thla

thla MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2011
    Geforce GTX 680 and a Samsung S27A850D monitor.

I've begun thinking it's not the monitor or graphics card when i found out that it does go to sleep properly but when the lockscreen is activated then it goes out of sleep, for example if i tell it to turn off the display after a minute it will do so, and then a few minutes later(Where it would normally have made the monitor sleep + lock the computer) it would simply lock the computer and turn on the monitor again.

I might just try uninstalling the GPU driver later and use whatever windows update can find and see if it solves it though.