Logon name vs. folder name

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Apr 27, 2010.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi all!

When I installed Win7, I was "under duress" and picked "dipstick" as my username. Since then, I have changed my name, but the folder under "documents and settings" remains dipstick. Unfortunately, my TV's DLNA app picks up the foldername and not the username. So my TV shows "Win7-Server:Dipstick". I have not found a way to rename the folder (rename is grayed out). Is there a way to make my folder's name match my logon name short of reinstalling Win7?

Thanks!

Russ

2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    #2 roirraW "edor" ehT, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
    Welcome!

1. Run Windows Easy Transfer and export as if from an old computer and save the file somewhere safe.
    2. Rename your existing user account BACK to "dipstick", or perhaps "dipstick r2" ;)
    3. Go to the Control Panel and create a new ADMINISTRATOR user account using the proper name you wanted.
    4. Log out of "Dipstick" and log into your newly created proper user account.
    5. Use Windows Easy Transfer and import the file from #1 above as if you're on a new computer. It'll probably prompt you to reboot afterwards. Do so.
    6. Verify that everything is as it should be under your new user account.
    7. Go to the Control Panel and delete your old "Dipstick" account, therefore giving your dipstick the shaft. When asked if it should actually delete the files as well, choose YES otherwise you'll have a lot of duplicate files taking up hard drive space.

P.S. Please don't grab your dipstick OR your shaft until you log off MDL. Ceiling cat is watching!

P.P.S. Yes there are quicker ways for the more technically involved but I wanted to keep it simple and noob-safe for anyone else reading this forum. You could manually move over all your documents, et cetera, or if you have them stored on another partition, then rename the other partitions folders AFTER deleting your "Dipstick" account, and just use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer your Windows settings.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Tried doing this (twice!), but it doesn't touch the desktop. I'm not sure I'm ready to try rebuilding all that (folders, icons, widgets, etc)! Haven't looked at all my "tasks" in task manager (each of which takes 10 x's longer to build than XP did).

I did try making a new admin account, logging into that, and renaming my dipstick folder, but when I log back on as dipstick, I'm stuck in a temp account and the same "new" bare desktop. Any other ideas???

Guess I'm stuck with dipstick...

Russ

4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Geezzz, what a dipstick :D (just kidding)

5. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    What exactly are the settings this program is supposed to save? It doesn't seem to do desktop stuff, and I haven't looked past that to see what else it's not doing. The 2nd time I tried it, I clicked the "advanced" tab and selected everything I could on both items and it still didn't get me set up completely...

Russ

6. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Windows Easy Transfer always saves my desktop settings (among everything else) and even the desktop icons. Possibly not the gadgets (don't remember, but no big deal to set up again). I've used this very method to do exactly what you asked. Make sure you follow the directions to the letter. I don't know what you did that ended up with a bare desktop. Maybe you manually renamed some folder that you shouldn't have before using Windows Easy Transfer?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I must be thick

Ive seen your username for years on the AntiWPA site and here and I just had a brain snap and realized what your username is :confused::p:p