Logonui.exe error comctl32.dll missing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cetipabo2, Mar 11, 2015.

1. cetipabo2

cetipabo2 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2015
    #1 cetipabo2, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Hello,
    i have an HP probook 8440p laptop with windows 7 32 bit.
    the system doesn't want to start because of this error :
    LogonUI.exe
    impossible to start the programm, comctl32.dll is missing....

so i'm stuck with a black background and my mouse pointer.
    i tried F8 with all the possible things in the menu :
    Safe mode = same problem
    Repair = no problem found
    Repair with restore point = impossible because something is corrupted...i tried 4 restore points and each time it says after a few minutes that the operation is cancelled because of a corupted file...
    shell prompt = black background

So i removed the drive and put it on another PC and i did a full check with Bitdefender endpoint security : no virus found.
    i did a Chkdsk, it found some problems and fixed them.
    I found another PC with win 7 32bit and copied the LogonUI.exe + comctl32.dll files in c:\windows\system32\ folder and i replaced the Disk in the laptop but the problem is still the same...

I realy don't want to reformat, anyone has a suggestion ?

Thank you for your help

2. cetipabo2

cetipabo2 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Thank you for your help but...
    1. Start Windows 7, and log on to an administrator account.

i can't do that...

3. MaouKami

MaouKami MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2014
    #4 MaouKami, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hey,

Did this perhaps happen since today ?
    Today at the end of the day, we received 5 systems pretty much within the hour,
    Not all details are known but all systems do suddenly have corrupted windows, 3 of them backscreen with mouse, 2 other's got different files corrupted.
    On one i was able to do a system restore, but still kept different applications corrupted though windows worked it kept hanging,
    Even a laptop we got for simple checking, after windows update it got the same issue.

chkdsk did find issues on the pc btw, but it did not solve it.
    So i am guessing windows rolled out a update that started to corrupt "random" not sure files.

Tomorrow i have a early start at checking the systems, if i find the cause and or solution i will post it.
    Btw, do you perhaps have panda cloud ? or any panda software installed ?

Code:
    Wednesday, March 11th 2015
    We inform you that  we have had a problem with our signature file that might have affected  our PCOP and Retail 2015 customers. This issue causes some files to be  moved to the quarantine.
    The signature file has already been  replaced, so this situation should not recur. Nonetheless, we advise our  customers not to restart your computer. At Panda Security we are  analyzing the impact and working to restore the situation at the  endpoint.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We will keep you informed at all times.

Help nÂș- 20150311 100045 EN

Though it does not state if it just moves some of its own files or random windows fails to quarantine.

4. cetipabo2

cetipabo2 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2015
    yes it happened today in the afernoon, but the antivirus is bitdefender endpoint security.

I already tried teh startup repair, it doesn't find any problem..

5. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    OK one last try for me and if this does not work then all I can see is a complete reformat.

Now I just tried this on my computer, but this will only work if you can boot into safe mode.

>Boot into safe mode
    >Open My Computer
    >Pop in your win7 disc
    >When you see it loaded in your drive
    >Right click on it and select to run it
    >It will load up and you can follow the Repair Install procedure. Step 8

Now that is as far as I got and did not continue because there is nothing wrong on my computer. I don't know if this will work the same as a live repair and not remove any programs or things you have, but if your dead in the water it can't hurt. Your call.

6. cetipabo2

cetipabo2 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2015
    unfortunately i can't boot into safe mode, i just get the the window with the error message with a black background. it's impossible to access to an icon, safe boot or not...

7. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Well I'm at a loss then?? I'm no computer expert here but it sounds more like there is more than just a missing file to me. You can wait and see if someone else chimes in or do a full format.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Do you have access to another computer can you download Dart 7 and make bootable iso.

9. cetipabo2

cetipabo2 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2015
    #11 cetipabo2, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    (OP)
    yes i can, i'm actualy downloading Dart 7

10. cetipabo2

cetipabo2 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2015
    the problem is that the file is present because i copied it from another PC, unless it is using it from another folder than : c:\windows\system32\ the file should be here and correct

11. cetipabo2

cetipabo2 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2015
    well so i'm actualy runing the SFC scan...is there anything else or better thing to do ?