Looking for Embedded Standard 2009 for a mediacenter

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by runar, Aug 3, 2012.

1. runar

runar MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    Hello;

I'm trying to reconvert an old Athlon XP 1400 PC in an horizontal box with some extra memory (768MB), ATI videocard and internal Wifi card into a MAME arcade machine and media Center, to put it under my flat tv (occupies the same as a VCR). I've already got the PC and a X-Arcade circuit for joysticks. I would like to set up a mediacenter and use bluetooth controllers too, but for those to work well I would need to set up an XP SP2 at least, better if SP3.

Trying to run XP with a service pack with so little memory is unnusable, and I can't make the mediacenter and the BT controllers work right on the Win2000 SP4 that I am using.

For what i've managed to understand, I need to use an XPenbedded SP2 and update it to SP3, or the 2009 Standard.

1. Where can i get it? (I'm hoping for a delta patch for m$.com / en-us / download / details. aspx? id=14947)

2. Can I install language packs on it? Where are they?

3. Can I install the M$ mediacenter on it? If not, what alternatives work well on it?

4.1 Anyone knows where you can get seriar IR sensors for those irda/serial conectors in the motherboards? This box is an standard pc case, so doesn't have it, but I don't want to put a s**tload of usb dongles dangling out.

4.2 What about using an Android phone as an bluetooth/wifi remote?

4.3 Can I use the PC as a video source for my XBOX360?

4.4 If I added a DVT PCI card, could I set it as a DVT player/recorder, or it would fail due to low memory / processor?

Any help, sougerence, or links in the right direction would be kindly appreciated.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Install Ubuntu with xbmc, job done, forget Windoze
    Or buy Raspberry Pi

sebus

3. runar

runar MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    I'm not good enought at linux to make this work. Very old motherboard and fairly new videocard is a dependence hell waiting to happen. Withouth mentioning is the wireless suport I wan't to try to add. No way, thank you.

If it was only a MAME machine, it would work beautifully (it was the previus job of the motherboard), but I wanted to add other games (so I want to add a couple of wireless pads), non-mame games (Guilty Gear x, Grandia II) and fullhd video (thus the fairly recent videocard), so i would prefeer Windows.

I take note of XBMC sugerence.

Don't want to buy new hardware for now. I'm just trying to recycle my old one. If I wanted new one I could get an atom mediacenter with Win 7 cheaply, which would be able to do 80% of what I want. I prefer to reuse if possible.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Stop being stuck on Windows, get life, learn something else

Get Openelec, most likely all will work out of the box

sebus

5. runar

runar MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    Why don't you read what other people write before answering? Or lean to undestand basic english?

I already have a Zotac with Linux acting as mediacenter. It works fine. i'm not doing this because i need a new mediacenter; I'm doing this to reuse a lot of old, and I mean OLD hardware (cpu, board, memory, HDs, DVD rom drive, old joystick port pads with ff, an old serial-port weel and pedals, videocard, network card, wifi card, card reader). I don't want to get into a s**tload of trouble to make it work in linux (I could, just not quickly), because it is not the mediacenter or the MAME machine the objetive. Those I already have (the Zotac).

I just want to be able to run other WINDOWS games (old, not well suported by wine and incompatible with Vista). I could do that with a standard XP home too.

But I want to LEARN to use windows embedded (wich I already can do with the 180 days trial). it's just that since this project i'ts for me, I would like it to last more than 3 months. As the title of the tread says, i'm asking for a link o delta patch of the full version of the 2009 embedded.

If i wanted a linux solution I would ask in the linux forum. If i wanted a vista/7 solution I would ask in its forum. I just asked, as a SECONDARY question, to recomend me a mediacenter that they think it would work on windows and on hardware as old as this.

I'm more interested in having something that can work as a retro game player for my old games and GOG collection and net-tv. Being able to use it as a mediacenter would be nicer so I wouldn't have to switch between the zotac and this project, yes. But it is not a requeriment.

So if you have a comment for that, thank you. But please, no trolling.

-Edit --

And sorry for taking so long to answer, but, well, I have a life.

6. meister_sd

meister_sd MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    #6 meister_sd, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    Take a look at the embedded thread for a lot of general information. Take a look specifically the T5730 thread and the Windows Thin PC thread there.

I put ThinPC on a thin client and it worked pretty well and would suggest that if you aren't using a flash card or whatever. If using a hard drive, it should work well and it's Win7 based so it should allow for the hardware stuff you are using. I'd post links but I don't have enough posts for the system to allow it.

I've also used the patched trial of WinXPe builder but I don't think you can download the trial anymore from M$ but it's on the torrent sites. Basically, a cab file was extracted and the normal retail-to-volume patch was applied to the files, recompressed back into a CAB file and the ISO remade.