Looking for FRAPS-like real time benchmark tool.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Dude Guyman, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    One thing I really liked about FRAPS was the bench marking it could do in real time in any game I played. I used to just hit the benchmark key with a 30-60 second time limit on it, then run a path through a game. Change settings/drivers/etc and repeat the same path again and compare. I prefer that to any benchmark specific stuff like Unigine and the like.

So, does anyone know of anything similar that works on Windows 10 to log FPS while a game is played? Preferably light weight, low resource. I don't care about capturing (got OBS for that) or even frame rate displays, as long as it logs frames and spits out some usable results min/max/avg type of thing.

2. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    MSI Afterburner(comes with RTSS) or HWiNFO with RTSS.

3. hemlatuyda

hemlatuyda MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2017
    for me FRAPS works fine on Windows 10, also there's FRAFS tool for frametime analysis of FRAPS results

4. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    Fraps still works for me sometimes, but I'm pretty sure anything DirextX 12 will break it, or at least I don't trust the results. Even in DirectX 11 games the overlay text is all jumbled up and unreadable. I liked the simplicity of it, but no longer trust it.

Afterburner + RTSS did the trick, though it is a little heavy for my liking, then again it can give a lot more info on the overlay which is good. It lets me know when my little 3 GB graphics card is being hammered by too high a texture setting (Rise of the Tomb Raider crushes it). Even on High Texture setting it uses almost all 3GB (~2800)

5. Painkiller

Painkiller MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    3 GB graphics card memory you do not have today.
    Man needs at least 8 GB to play current games.

6. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    #6 Dude Guyman, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    (OP)
    Of course a man does! And driving to work in anything less than a Lamborghini is unthinkable, and going rabbit hunting without a Barrett M107A1 .50 Cal. BMG would just be pointless!

faceless.jpg

7. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    @Dude Guyman
    You've got 1060 3GB, right? What's your OS version number and are you playing any DX11 game at the moment?

Uh-huh, that man be hustlin' at streetcorners for lotsa suggardaddies like all time.

Even after 2 years from Pascal's release back in 2016, the prices are still more or less hovering around the initial MSRP. May be add another 30-50USD to actually get something that's in stock while being "reasonably" priced. GTX 1100/2000/whatever with GDDR6 will fuel another cycle of price surge. By this time, they'd have been releasing newer generation cards. But what are they releasing: 1050 3GB.

8. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    #8 Dude Guyman, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    (OP)
    WIN10 LTSB 1607 14393.2312
    I do play older directx 11 games, but currently just running through ROTTR DX12. Afterburner/RTSS is working fine for me. I'm managing 54-90 FPS with High(ish) settings, good'nuff.

As for graphics card prices...I paid $169 for my GTX 1060 3GB about two days before the prices went insane. Had I not bought when I did, I'd still be rocking my GTX 950 2GB right now. The same card is still ~$250-400 and no way in Hell am I paying that or the $500-900 for 6-8 GB models. My little 3GB is not the greatest, but the only game that I've played that uses the full 3GB is ROTTR and only if I set the textures to Very High. Not to mention my old AMD FX6300 is already the bottleneck, and with memory prices as insane as graphics cards, no way I am upgrading cpu+mainboard+ram any time soon. As much as I would like to, I am not willing to fork over that much cash for some crap that will likely cost 1/3 as much in a few months.

9. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Does all the rendering modes in RTSS work with ROTTR for you?

I'm playing ACO(DX11) again. Umm...not exactly "again", I had progressed midway(mid 20 Lvl) into the game, but I simply lost interest in the game after I "had" to repeatedly cheat by using a trainer. There were rendering issues in the underwater locations and in the caves. After switching to 1060 6GB, all those issues have gone away, but that stink of the sullied original profile still lingered. So, I created a second profile and started playing again. At 1080p, with max quality, I'm getting 35-75fps on the usual average band. Absolute highs are in the 130s(talk scenes) and the lows are in the mid-20s.
    With this fps band, I can play more aggressively and be more confrontational. Just max. of 5 swings with legendary swords for auto-levelled-up un-shielded enemies and 10-15 for the brutes and shielded ones(when they are not alone) is required to kill them. I'm pretty happy with that.

My CPU/Mobo(DDR3) are almost 3.5 years old. So they are out of warranty and that makes me a bit jittery. As such, I keep an eye on the prices for new CPU+mobo+DDR4, just in case. Even though I have no intention of actually buying anything at this moment or in the near future. Just a couple of months back, I was about to hoard a 32GB DDR4 kit that was on discount.

10. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    I'm not sure what you are asking here? Rendering modes in RTSS? Do you mean the Vector 2d, Vector 3d, Raster 3d settings? I have not tried changing them or know why I would. It was defaulted to Raster 3d and that seems to be working.

I tried playing ACO, and it crushed my rig. I did not notice any rendering problems in the couple hours I played, but it ran like poop at any setting for me and was not 'my kind of game' anyway I lost interest almost immediately. Found it boooooring.

11. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Yep, that's what I meant by that. If Raster 3D is working, then everything is just fine for you.

Even on the 1060? Surprising.

12. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Not surprising, ACO is very CPU hogging and the AMD FX 6300 is the culprit :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    Bingo! Which is why even reducing graphics settings to the 'Fugly' setting didn't help. I managed 40-70 FPS but there was way too much 40 for me.

14. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    And the more you reduce the settings the more it's running into CPU limit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...